Rush police teach Halloween safety
ANDREW LEIBENGUTH/TIMES NEWS Rush Township Police officer DuaneFrederick talksto Mrs. DorothySassaman's kindergarten plus class about Trick or Treat safety to students at the Rush Elementary School as he hands out Halloween glow sticks providedcourtesy of Rush Township supervisors.
Rush Township police officer Duane Frederick talked to students recently at the Rush Township Elementary School about Halloween safety.
Fredericks mentioned to have fun on Halloween, but keep it safe, have some good, clean fun and parents will trust you for many Halloweens to come, adding, "Showing them how responsible you can be will give you a feeling of pride and make them see just how adult you really are."
Halloween tips for kids:
• Never, ever go into a strangers house or even ring their door for treats unless your parents are with you and say that it's okay. There are some people in life that aren't very nice to kids and you have to be careful. Always make sure that your mom or dad is within sight when you go out trick-or-treating.
• Be careful when you cross a street. Make sure to look in both directions and make sure that there are no cars coming. If you have a little brother or sister with you, take their hand and help them get across the street, too. If the street has a stop light, wait until the cross walk light tells you that it's okay to cross now, but still check before you cross, look both ways.
• If you are an older kid or young teen, and going out with friends, make sure that your parents know where you are going and who you are going with. This may seem like a pain but they are your parents and they love you. They just want you to be safe.
• If you can drive and are taking a bunch of friends to a party, make sure that you have enough gas to get there. You don't want to run out on a dark street, all alone, like a bad horror movie!
• If you parents give you a curfew, be home when they say. It builds trust between you and them and they are doing it for your own safety. If you are going to be late, call them and let them know.
• Vandalism is never cool! Throwing eggs at cars and houses is not cool. Someone has to clean it up and it could be you, if you get caught. You can also be arrested and punished as a juvenile. So, don't think that it's fun only if you can get away with it. It's never the right thing to do! Think about how you would feel if someone did that to your house and how bad it would make you feel.
•Hurting animals is never acceptable behavior! Some people use Halloween as an excuse to hurt cats and that is just wrong! Not only is it illegal in most places to hurt or torture animals and punishable by law, you should never hurt a helpless living thing.