An exhibit of Girl Scout uniforms and other memorabilia is bringing back memories for former Girls Scouts.
The exhibit at the Liberty Bell Museum in Allentown is a collection of 11 uniforms, which date from 1919 to the late 1990s. There are posters, books, games, hats, jewelry, shoes, cookie and nut tins, cameras and hundreds of Girl Scout badges.
The exhibit, compiled by the History Committee of Girl Scouts of Eastern Pennsylvania, is on display through May 5 in the Liberty Bell Museum, located in the basement of historic Zion's Church, 622 W. Hamilton St., Allentown.
The display commemorates Girl Scouts during their 100th anniversary this year.
The uniforms include badges that state they are from Great Valley Girl Scout Council, which had encompassed the Lehigh Valley and included Girl Scouts from Slatington, Palmerton and Lehighton.
Girls who live in these areas are now part of the larger Girl Scouts of Eastern Pennsylvania Council.
After the name was changed, the service area enlarged to serve over 41,000 girls ages 5 through 17 in Berks, Bucks, Carbon, Chester, Delaware, Lehigh, Montgomery, Northampton, and Philadelphia counties.
The exhibit includes a photograph of Juliette Gordon Low being presented to Queen Victoria at the royal court. It also shows that modern Girl Scouts are very different from how they were a hundred years ago.
Admission to the exhibit is free; however donations are accepted. The museum is open from noon to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
The Liberty Bell Museum is home of an exact replica copy of the Liberty Bell.
The museum is on the National Register of Historic Places and is the site of the first church in Allentown.
The church was used as a refuge during Indian raids, a revolutionary war hospital, and a gathering place for the reading of the Declaration of Independence.