March Madness now the real basketball season begins. Fill in your brackets, fans, and good luck.
We all lose an hour's sleep tonight (don't forget to turn those clocks ahead one hour), but it will be worth it to enjoy that extra hour of daylight in the evening. I like Daylight Savings Time.
I'm thinking, if we can get through two more weeks, this might be a winter for the record books, with the least amount of snow ever. I'm not complaining.
Is it me, or has local politics gotten much dirtier in the past couple of years? I don't remember as much mud slinging and accusations in the past that we're experiencing now.
I like unusual facts. Apparently some readers do also. One sent along these strange but true tidbits he swears are true. I'm only passing them on for your consumption.
– Forty percent of McDonald's profits come from the sales of Happy Meals.
– 315 entries in Webster's 1996 Dictionary were misspelled.
– On the average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily.
– Chocolate kills dogs! True, chocolate affects a dog's heart and nervous system. A few ounces is enough to kill a small sized dog.
– Ketchup was sold in the 1830s as a medicine.
– Leonardo DA Vinci could write with one hand and draw with the other at the same time.
– Because metal was scarce, the Oscars given out during World War II were made of wood.
– There are no clocks in Las Vegas gambling casinos.
– Leonardo DA Vinci invented scissors. Also, it took him 10 years to paint Mona Lisa's lips.
– Bruce Lee was so fast that they actually had to slow a film down so you could see his moves. That's the opposite of the norm.
– The original name for the butterfly was "flutterby"!
– By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you can't sink in quicksand.
– Mosquito repellents don't repel ... They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquito's sensors so they don't know you're there.
– Dentists recommend that a toothbrush be kept at least six feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.
– The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley's gum.
– Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than the entire Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.
– Marilyn Monroe had six toes on one foot.
– Adolf Hitler's mother seriously considered having an abortion but was talked out of it by her doctor.
– The three most valuable brand names on earth: Marlboro, Coca-Cola, and Budweiser, in that order.
– To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, place your fingers into itseyeballs. It will let you go instantly.
– The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
– The "pound" (#) key on your keyboard is called an octothorp.
–The only domestic animal not mentioned in the Bible is the cat.
– Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.
– The average person's left hand does 56 percent of the typing.
– Dreamt" is the only word in the English language that ends in "MT".
– It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
– In Chinese, the KFC slogan "finger lickin' good" comes out as "eat your fingers off".
– A cockroach can live for 10 days without a head.
– We shed 40 pounds of skin in a lifetime.
– Yo-Yos were once used as weapons in the Philippines
– Mexico City sinks about 10 inches a year.
– Brains are more active sleeping than watching TV.
– Blue is the favorite color of 80 percent of Americans.
– When a person shakes their head from side to side, he is saying "yes" in Sri Lanka.
– There are more chickens than people in the world.
– The thumbnail grows the slowest, and the middle nail grows the fastest.
– There are more telephones than people in Washington, D.C..
– The average four year-old child asks over four hundred questions a day.
– The average person presses the snooze button on their alarm clock three Times each morning.
– The three wealthiest families in the world have more assets than the combined wealth of the 48 poorest nations.
– The first owner of the Marlboro cigarette Company died of lung cancer.
– Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.
– The world's youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived in China in 1910.
– Our eyes remain the same size from birth onward, but our noses and ears never stop growing.
– You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV.
– A person will die from total lack of sleep sooner than from starvation. Death will occur about 10 days without sleep, while starvation takes a few weeks.
– Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying.
– The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows.
– When the moon is directly overhead, you weigh slightly less.
– Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, never telephoned his wife or mother because they were both deaf.
– "I am." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language
– Colgate faced a big obstacle marketing toothpaste in Spanish speaking countries because Colgate translates into the command "go hang yourself."
– Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.
– "Bookkeeper" is the only word in English language with three consecutive double letters.