Jim Thorpe home sustains fire, smoke and light water damage
BOB FORD/TIMES NEWS Firefighters concentrate on the chimney area as they battle a house fire along the Lentz Trail in Jim Thorpe yesterday.
A single family home at 104 Lentz Trail, Jim Thorpe, sustained fire, smoke and some water damage mid-morning on Tuesday.
Eric Buskirk, homeowner, was at home when his home filled with smoke.
Buskirk said that he designed the home and his father was the architect. He stood by silently from a neighbor's property as firefighters from eight fire companies fought the blaze.
The home is a wood framed raised rancher with a screened in front porch at the upper level. The bottom level includes a garage.
Jim Thorpe Fire Chief Bill Deihm said that he believed the fire started near the fireplace in the living room. He said the owner had told him that he had a fire in the fireplace the night before and had put out the fire before going to bed. The owner was at home when the fire started.
Deihm said that the owner had tried to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived.
"He was using wood for fuel," said Deihm.
Diehm that the roof, walls, ceiling and sections of the floor received fire damage and a minimal amount of water damage.
"It was a quick stop," said Diehm. "It didn't take long to put it out."
Fire departments at the fire scene included: Summit Hill, Lansford, Mahoning Township, Penn Forest, Franklin Township, Lehighton, Nesquehoning and Jim Thorpe. Ambulances from Lansford and Lehighton were also on the scene.
"We used water from our tankers," said Diehm. "We didn't need more than that."
Diehm noted that no windows were broken.
"We opened the windows and doors for ventilation," said Diehm. "We didn't need to break any windows."
Diehm said that he did not believe that Buskirk would be able to remain in the home without making repairs.