Assistant superintendent given new 5-year contract
A top-level Northern Lehigh School District administrator has garnered a new contract.
On an 8-0 vote Monday, the school board approved a five-year contract for Assistant Superintendent Karen Nicholas. Director Mathias Green was absent.
As per the contract, Nicholas will be paid $107,123 a year, which reflects no change in her current salary.
After the board gave its consent, Superintendent Michael Michaels congratulated Nicholas.
Nicholas said after the meeting that she wished to thank the board for their support.
"I look forward to working with the board toward the pursuit of a common vision," Nicholas said. "With the direction of Superintendent [Michael] Michaels, I enjoy the collaboration of creating educational programs that provide the students in the Northern Lehigh School District with a strong academic environment."
Prior to her appointment as assistant superintendent, Nicholas had served as assistant to the superintendent.
"I have a commitment to the academic success of all students," she said. "Through planning, communication, and clear goals, we will continue to work together to bring the school community together to support the goals of the school district."
In other business, the board:
• Authorized administration to transfer General Fund Certificate of Deposits (CDs) in the amount of $1,488,000, upon maturity date to the Capital Projects account for future District Capital Projects as follows: United Central Bank, Garland, TX, $248,000, March 14, 2012; Sonabank, McLean, VA, $248,000, March 14, 2012; 1st Federal Savings & Loans Assoc., of Charleston, Charleston, SC, $248,000, March 27, 2012; Privatebank & Trust Co., Chicago, IL, $248,000, March 27, 2012; Pacific Commerce Bank, Los Angeles, CA, $248,000, March 27, 2012; and Security Bank & Trust Co., Paris, TN, $248,000, March 27, 2012.
• Approved the First Reading of school board policy #907, Community, School Visitors, as presented.
• Approved the request of the Senior High Administration to create a Crochet Club. This club will teach students the art of crocheting, a craft that can be both fun and functional by creating a usable finished product. The club will meet every Tuesday from 2:10-3:30 p.m. There will be no cost to the district.
• Approved a resolution to identify Official Local School District Holidays (OLSDH), in accordance with PA School Code Section 1502.
• Accepted the 2010-11 audit and management report for the single audit ending June 30, 2011. A copy of the audit was distributed at the Jan. 9, 2012 school board meeting.
• Granted homebound instruction for an 11th grade student, Student No. 1390059, for five hours per week, effective Feb. 1, 2012, and continuing until approximately April 30, 2012.
• Approved the 2012-13 Northern Lehigh School District calendar as presented.