Many volunteers throughout our area came together in Summit Hill to help sort and put orders together, as well as deliver, for the Carbon-Tamaqua Chapter of the American Cancer Society Daffodil Days. The location was donated by Hiles Brothers Plumbing and Heating.
The Carbon-Tamaqua Unit of the American Cancer Society Daffodil Days volunteers will be at various locations throughout our area from today until Saturday taking donations and selling ACS daffodils, Boyd's Bears, and vases. Volunteers will be at the following locations from noon to 6 p.m.: Mallards Market in Lehighton, Jim Thorpe Market, Carbon Plaza Mall, Redner's Warehouse Market in Nesquehoning, and Boyers Food Markets in Tamaqua and Lansford. From 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Country Harvest in Palmerton. From noon to 6 p.m.: The Village at Palmerton.
In addition to the usual bunch of daffodils for $10, supporters may choose from a Boyd's Bear with ten daffodils for $25 or vase with ten daffodils for $15.
Many organizations and businesses came through by selling daffodils or by providing locations for the volunteers to take donations and sell daffodils.
L B Morris Elementary School in Jim Thorpe, Penn Kidder Elementary School in Albrightsville, and Weatherly Elementary School also took orders.
On Monday, UPS dropped off 60 boxes, containing 500 daffodils each, to a storage building owned by Hiles Bros in Summit Hill. The daffodils were delivered from Washington State. Students from the Panther Valley Honor Society and volunteers from surrounding areas spent a good portion of the day wrapping daffodils as well as organizing and filling orders.
Corporate sponsors for this year's local campaign include Gold Sponsors - BTM Inc. of Jim Thorpe and The First National Bank of Palmerton. 2010 Bronze sponsors are Hiles Brothers Companies, Jim Thorpe National Bank, Ohl Fuel Oil, Shafer's Pharmacy, Trattoria 903, Access Services, and others. Mauch Chunk Trust served as a 2010 Corporate Friend. The fundraiser, which historically coincides with the coming of Spring, is expected to raise $43,000 locally, with more than $4 million statewide.
As the first flower of Spring, daffodils are the perennial ACS symbol of hope for cancer patients throughout the community. Funds raised by the Daffodil Days campaign enable the ACS to save lives and create more birthdays by helping people stay well, helping people get well, by finding cures and by fighting back.
Lisa Hiles, past chair and current logistics chair, stated her great appreciation for all the dedicated volunteers, sponsors, and contributors.
Bob Stevenson, Carbon-Tamaqua ACS third-year Daffodil Days chair, said 80 percent of their goal usually comes from presales, while the remaining 20 percent comes from direct sales at local businesses over the next few days.
Jenn Zimmerman from R.S.V.P., a senior volunteer group in Lehighton, was also mentioned as a great supporter and volunteer.
Volunteer drivers spent Tuesday delivering all the daffodil preorders to surrounding areas.
For more information about Daffodil Days, call the ACS at 888-227-5445, ext 3112.
The American Cancer Society is dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem by saving lives, diminishing suffering and preventing cancer through research, education, advocacy and service. For more information about the ACS, call 1-800-227-2345, day or night, or visit www.cancer.org .