Watching the NFL playoff games last weekend, I saw several commercials hyping the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards show that will air Feb. 13 on CBS.
Truthfully, I didn't recognize any of the artists who were previewed. Oh, I recognized some of their names, but I couldn't recognize any of their music if you paid me.
That's strange, because I really enjoy good music. But I don't enjoy what's considered good music today.
Suffice it to say I'm locked in a time warp, that period of the 1950s and 60s when "Oldies" were new, and music was recorded that you could actually understand the lyrics and remember the melodies.
That's why I got excited last week when a reader of this column sent along an oldies' quiz that I'd like to share with readers today.
The quiz contains 15 great memories about music that caused our parents and teachers grief!
You won't be hearing any of these tunes on the Grammy show, but a lot of them have become classics, which not many of today's recordings will become.
Take the quiz and see how you score as a true ''Oldies Fan.''
Write down your answers and check them against the answers at the end.
1. When did ''Little Suzie'' finally wake up?
(a) The movie's over, it's 2 o'clock
(b) The movie's over, it's 3 o'clock
(c) The movie's over, it's 4 o'clock
2. ''Rock Around The Clock'' was used in what movie?
(a) Rebel Without A Cause
(b) Blackboard Jungle
(c) The Wild Ones
3. What's missing from a Rock & Roll standpoint? Earth _____
4. ''I found my thrill ...'' where?
(a) Kansas City
(b) Heartbreak Hotel
(c) Blueberry Hill
5. ''Please turn on your magic beam,_______ ___ bring me a dream,'':
(a) Mr. Sandman
(b) Earth Angel
(c) Dream Lover
6. For which label did Elvis Presley first record?
7. He asked, ''Why's everybody always pickin' on me?'' Who was he?
(a) Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
(b) Charlie Brown
(c) Buster Brown
8. In Bobby Darin's ''Mack The Knife,'' the one with the knife, was named:
9. Name the song with ''A-wop bop a-loo bop a-lop bam boom.''
(a) Good Golly, Miss Molly
(c) Tutti Fruitti
10. Who is generally given credit for originating the term ''Rock And Roll''?
(a) Dick Clark
(b) Wolfman Jack
(c) Alan Freed
11. In 1957, he left the music business to become a preacher:
(a) Little Richard
(b) Frankie Lymon
(c) Tony Orlando
12. Paul Anka's ''Puppy Love'' is written to what star?
(a) Brenda Lee
(b) Connie Francis
(c) Annette Funicello
13. The Everly Brothers are.. ...
(a) Pete and Dick
(b) Don and Phil
(c) Bob and Bill
14. The Big Bopper's real name was:
(a) Jiles P. Richardson
(b) Roy Harold Scherer Jr.
(c) Marion Michael Morrison
15. In 1959, Berry Gordy, Jr., started a small record company called ...
1 (c) The movie's over, it's 4 o'clock
2. (b) Blackboard Jungle
3. (a) Angel
4. (c) Blueberry Hill
5. (a) Mr. Sandman
6. (c) Sun
7. (b) Charlie Brown
8. (a) Mac Heath
9. (c) Tutti Fruitti
10. (c) Alan Freed
11. (a) Little Richard
12. (c) Annette Funicello
13. (b) Don and Phil
14. (a) Jiles P. Richardson
15. (c) Motown