St. Paul's Evangelical Church in Albrightsville chose a beautiful late summer afternoon to dedicate its new organ. The church's old organ was purchased in 1954 and had seen better days, so at 58 years of age the old organ was replaced with the new Allen instrument.
The Rev. Doug Holtz, pastor, who has been with the church for three years, is impressed by his parishioners.
"How great it is that the people of this congregation value worship and music so much, and they dedicate themselves to supporting this church in so many ways," said Holtz.
The dedication started with an introduction by church council president, Cathy Fitting, who acknowledged that the idea of the dedication came from Shirley Leinthall of Summit Hill, who is a dedicated member of St. Paul's. Leinthall worked to organize the event.
Fitting's comments were followed by a prayer of dedication offered by Pastor Holtz.
The centerpiece of the ceremony, however, was the broad selection of musical pieces played on the new organ by Randall D. Perry.
An accomplished and well-known local conductor, choir director and composer, Perry is the founder of the Bach and Handel Chorale.
One of the 11 pieces performed by Perry that particularly stood out was Sinfonia from Cantata (BWV 29) by Johann Sebastian Bach.
After acknowledging the applause from the audience, Perry joked that "Bach always gets a great reaction, and he was a Lutheran too."
At the conclusion of the ceremony, church council President Fitting expressed the congregation's appreciation for the performance.
"Randall Perry did a beautiful job in showing the dynamic range and full sound of the new organ."
The dedication was followed by a luncheon in the picnic grove, which is located across the streetfrom the church.