Firefighters save Penn Forest home
A fireman probes the damaged heating unit, source of Wednesday's fire.
With the cold weather comes the threat of chimney fire and that turned into a reality for a Penn Forest Township family when fire damaged their home Wednesday afternoon.
The fire, at 90 Behrens road in the Bear Creek Lakes developement, broke out just after noon.
The family managed to escape the flames and no injuries were reported.
When fire companies from Carbon and Monroe counties arrived on scene, heavy smoke and flames were shooting from an exterior wall surrounding the chimney.
When fire fighters opened up the wall, thery were surprised to discover the heating unit and flue were enclosed in a wood frame rather than a ceramic or masonry enclosure.
Quick response by firemen contained the damages to the fireplace/chimney area of the one-story wood frame ranch style home.
Township fire chief David Klitsch said the house sustained minimal damage overall and is still able to be occupied.
Responding were Penn Forest, Albrightsville, Lake Harmony, Jim Thorpe, and Franklin Township Fire departments, and the Lehighton Ambulance.