Playground work complete, Palmerton directors told
TERRY AHNER/TIMES NEWS The Coal Bowl playground has been restored for students in the Palmerton Area School District to utilize.
A project to restore a popular playground in the Palmerton Area School District has been completed.
Mary Jo King, president of the S.S. Palmer/Parkside Education PTO, informed the school board on Tuesday that work to the Coal Bowl was officially completed over the weekend.
"I'm so happy and proud to be part of such a wonderful team," King said. "Everybody played an important role who was there."
King said donations were received from local businesses, and thanked the board and district for their support.
"Today, I was so thrilled to drive by and see the kids use it," she said.
A new set of swings, a carousel, tube slide and other items were installed.
In April, the board accepted a check in the amount of $12,937 to purchase the equipment. The funds were raised through a combination of private donations and community fundraisers.
District officials have said the playground typically accommodates about 100 students for recess at a time, and it is also used heavily for a summer program hosted by the Palmerton Area Recreation Committee.
Also on Tuesday, the board appointed Donna Les to half-time interim business manager, effective July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012, at the rate of $300 per day, not to exceed 1,040 hours.
In April, the board, on a 7-1 vote, agreed to change the status of Les from interim business manager to financial consultant, retroactive to March 28, 2011, for a maximum of 16 hours a week until June 6, 2011.
In an unrelated matter, the board approved, on a 7-1 vote, with Snyder opposed, the change in assignment for Andrew Remsing from 100-percent high school science teacher to 50-percent high school science teacher and 50-percent athletic coordinator. The salary will be at the teachers' contract rate, plus an additional $10,000 stipend per school year.
Prior to that vote, an earlier motion to table the matter was defeated by a 5-3 vote. Directors Michael Ballard, Darlene Yeakel, Susan Debski, Clarence Myers and board President Barry Scherer were opposed. Directors Carl Bieling, Stuart Henritzy and Tina Snyder were in favor. Director Carol Dwyer was absent.
In other business, the board:
- Approved, on a 7-0 vote, with one abstention, the mutual separation agreement and release of Michael Snyder. Tina Snyder abstained.
- Denied Palmerton Area Education Association Support Personnel Association grievance #2011-01.
- Denied, on a 7-0 vote, with one abstention, Palmerton Area Education Association's grievance #2011-03. Scherer abstained.
- Accepted, on a 7-1 vote, with Snyder opposed, the junior high school's improvement plan improve mathematics scores for the district's special education sub group, which failed to meet Adequate Yearly Progress and will be submitted to the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
- Approved disability leave in conjunction with family medical leave beginning approximately Sept. 18, 2011 for employee #4862. The return to work date is to be determined.
- Approved tenure to Robert Palazzo, school psychologist.