Former PV student gives back generously
A Pleasant Valley High School alumni recently gave a generous gift from the heart to help some PV students and their families enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday. The gift was a check for $3,000 with a request to John Gress, PVHS principal, to buy food for needy PV students and their families.
Gress divided the money up and distributed it to some of the other schools in the district to do that.
Pleasant Valley Elementary School principal Joshua Krebs said his school supported 13 families for Thanksgiving from donations, including the money donated by the former student. He also said that the school is collecting Toys for Tots.
Polk Elementary principal, Kenneth Newman, reported that his school is also collecting Toys for Tots. The school's goal is to collect at least 400 toys. If they fail, he has to kiss a pig.
PVHS student representative Nicole Sarwar said the students were collecting winter coats and they will be distributed Dec. 16 at the high school.
Kinshasa Jackson of Uniformnia, a school uniform supplier, spoke to the board about her business. If PV parents purchase clothing from Uniformnia, it will give 3 percent cash back to the PTO and was asking for the board's endorsement, which it gave.
In other business, the Pleasant Valley School Board directors approved hiring, 9-0:
• Kimberly Chiselko, from part-time cafeteria worker to temporary full-time cafeteria worker, effective Nov. 19.
• Laura Mesce, substitute, health room technician.
• Lindsay Foder, replacement speech position for Amanda Panuski at a salary of $44,900, prorated.
• Timothy Hinton from full-time paraprofessional associate at PVHS to part-time paraprofessional associate at PVI.
• Valerie Seligman, part-time level II German teacher, effective date, Nov. 6, 2012.
• Timothy Hinton, part-time level II technology education teacher effective Nov. 8, 2012.
• Josephine Dyett-Fields, teacher on special assignment from Nov. 27, 2012 to Jan. 9, 2013.
• Josephine Dyett-Fields as assistant PVMS principal, effective Jan. 10, 2013 at an annual salary of $72,000, prorated, replacement for Shelley Larthey.
• Erica Walters as Polk Elementary principal, effective beginning the second semester of the 2012-2013 school year, replacement for Joseph Kondisko.
The board also approved an electricity sales agreement with Constellation NewEnergy, Inc. to supply electricity from July 2013-July 2015 at a fixed price of $.04799 per kilowatt hour before gross receipts tax.
The mobile dentist was at PVE Oct. 26, 29, 30 to give dental exams to students with parents' approval.