Concerns surface over stadium bleachers replacement project
Concerns abound over a project that will replace Palmerton Area School District's stadium bleachers.
Several residents questioned the school board on Tuesday as to how the project will affect various sports programs.
Jeff Minnich, an assistant coach for the boys' track and field team, asked the board what impact the bleachers would have on track this coming spring.
Superintendent Carol Boyce explained that effective right after this coming football season, the bleachers will be off limits until construction is completed by the summer of 2012.
As a result, Boyce said the district will need to make other arrangements as it sees fit.
"Track will not be affected," Boyce said. "Graduation will be impacted, as the bleachers will be replaced, the roof will be replaced."
Tiffani Christman, president of the Palmerton Youth Wrestling Cheerleading Association, asked where the wrestling team will practice.
Boyce told Christman she would have to speak with athletic coordinator Andrew Remsing.
Board President Barry Scherer told the audience the matter was a "temporary inconvenience for a permanent solution."
After the meeting, Boyce said the wrestling coach, athletic coordinator and district administration would work quickly to relocate the wrestling practices for the district's wrestling team.
"We have plans for the weightroom, which benefits all of our teams," she said. "We're currently making other arrangements for wrestling practices so that all teams will be able to be accommodated appropriately."
Further, Boyce said the district was in the midst of "putting the final touches on the relocation of the weightroom for this temporary project."
Also on Tuesday, the board approved the following extracurricular positions per the negotiated contract for the 2011-12 school year:
• Thomas Heinick, elementary chorus at S.S. Palmer Elementary, $1,433
• Natalie Dize, elementary chorus at Towamensing Elementary, $1,433
• Deanna Iles, co-environmental club at Palmer, $552
• Lynn Sutton, co-environmental club at Palmer, $552
• Eileen Haydt, environmental club at Towamensing, $1,103
• Kathryn Hassler, safety patrol at Palmer, $726
• Roberta Beckley, co•Sixth Sense, $370
• Pamela Storm, co-Sixth Sense, $370
• Beckley, co-student council at Palmer, $363
• Storm, co-student council at Palmer, $363
• Jodi Kocher, co-student council at Towamensing, $363
• Stacey Olewine, co-student council at Towamensing, $363
• Susan Pielmeier, co-swim deck coach, volunteer
• Karl Pielmeier, co-swim deck coach, volunteer
• Kerry Palumbo, art club, $1,773
• Robert Falkenstein, Avenger (high school newspaper), $3,624
• Kevin Kolodziejski, junior high school newspaper, $1,812
• Heinick, high school concert band, $1,981
• Dize, high school chorus, $1,981
• Carole Burkhardt, junior high chorus, $1,433
• Craig Borland, Class of 2012, senior class, $1,836
• Stephanie Shiffert, Class of 2013, junior class, $1,288
• Travis Fink, co-Class of 2014, sophomore class, $644
• Jeanna Baumgardt, co•Class of 2014, sophomore class, $644
• Falkenstein, Class of 2015, freshman class, $1,288
• Brent Harris, junior/ senior high school Drama Club, $1,610
• David Kellerman, high school environmental club, $1,103
• Jennifer Danzeisen, co-FBLA, $552
• Palumbo, co-FBLA, $552
• Danzeisen, mock trial, $1,103
• Alexander Knoll, National Honor Society, $1,843
• Brad Landis, junior high NHS, $922
• Bonnie Tavella, oratory adviser, $1,103
• Jeanne Knepper, scholastic scrimmage, $922
• Patricia Boyd, junior high school scrimmage (ACE), $739
• Ian Klansek, stage crew, $1,900
• Knoll, high school student council, $1,836
• Kathy Englert, junior high co-student council, $460
• Chris Kery, junior high co•student council, $460
• Falkenstein, high school yearbook, $3,624
In other business, the board approved the following nonpaid high school clubs:
• Kellerman, Chess Club
• Fink, Gridiron Club
• Jose Elvir, International Traveler Club
• Whitney Babyak, Library Book Club
• Miranda Allen, PAAC Advisor
• Kellerman, Souled Out Club
• Babyak, co-video club
• Falkenstein, co-video club