West Penn police are educating the public in regards to updates to Pennsylvania ATV laws.

West Penn Police Chief Brian Johnson spent a full day at a local ATV retailer talking and passing literature to visitors about ATV safety and laws. Johnson pointed out that all ATVs in Pennsylvania, except ATVs used solely for business or agricultural purposes, need to be registered and titled with DCNR.

For ATVs used anywhere off of your own property or property leased by you, such as designated State Forest trails, there is a $20 fee every two years. For ATVs used solely on your own land or land leased by you, there is no cost to register and no expiration, unless ownership of the vehicle changes.

The DCNR website points out that ATV registration and titling fees are not user fees for the privilege of using trails on state-owned land. The fees provide funding to administer the program, maintain trails on DCNR-managed parks and forests, and provide grants to profit and non-profit organizations for developing additional riding opportunities. Pennsylvania registration is not required for ATVs used exclusively as utility vehicles for agricultural or business operations, ATVs owned by nonresidents covered by a valid registration in their state, province or country that honors Pennsylvania registration, ATVs owned and used by a federal, state or local government body or ATVs owned by a dealer who has been issued a dealer registration certificate and used only in connection with the dealer's business.

Titling is not required for ATVs used exclusively as utility vehicles for agricultural or business operations. It is also not required for snowmobiles bought or acquired prior to Oct. 23, 2001, ATVs owned and used by a federal, state or local government body, ATVs owned by a dealer before and until sale, ATVs owned by a nonresident or ATVs owned by a Pennsylvania resident, but registered and used in another state.

The titling fee is $22.50. Replacement of lost or damaged registration certificate, limited registration certificate, registration decal, registration plate or expiration sticker is $5, as is the cost to transfer registration to a new machine by the same owner. If you purchase your vehicle at a registered dealer, you will be issued a registration plate with a temporary 45-day registration sticker. The dealer will handle your application for title and registration. If you purchase your ATV privately, you will need to supply DCNR with a completed application for registration and titling, proof of Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), pay the required fees and show that state sales tax or proof that tax has been paid.

Applications for registration and titling of ATVs and snowmobiles are available at www.dcnr.state.pa.us/snowmobile/index.htm or at local ATV snowmobile dealers, forest district offices, and State Park offices.

Applications also are available at www.dcnr.state.pa.us/snowmobile/index.aspx. The registration and titling application form must be completed and sent to the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Snowmobile/ATV Registration Section, P.O. Box 8553, Harrisburg, PA 17105, along with the registration and titling fees and sales tax statement.

Johnson stressed, "Unless you are using your ATV solely on land owned or leased by you, you must carry liability insurance." He added, "Proof of that insurance must be carried with you when you ride." For more information regarding Pennsylvania ATV laws visit www.dcnr.state.pa.us.