SLATINGTON LIBRARY NEWS
• Congratulations to all the children who participated in the library’s reading incentive program for the summer. Thirty participants read 610 books. Debra Siglin donated two $25 Barnes and Noble gift cards, which were won by Jordan Rehrig and Madison Jankowski. Gianna Evans and Brittney Diehl tied as our top readers by reading 80 books.
• The Slatington Library is joining the 11 libraries from surrounding communities to form a cooperative. The Lehigh Carbon Libraries Cooperative will join together to share their collections and align their polices and procedures so that residents can seamlessly access all of the libraries. Stop in and join.
• There is a genealogy group that meets at the library on the second Saturday of each month at 11 a.m. For information, go to Nextdoor.com.
• The book club meets on the first Monday of each month at 1 p.m. The next meeting is Sept. 10, due to the holiday. New members are always welcome. The book club will be sharing a book of choice from each member. Come join the fun.
• The topic for the diabetes lecture for September is “Exercising with Diabetes.” It will be held at 1 p.m. Sept. 26 p.m. Bechtel’s Pharmacy sponsors the diabetes series. Past lectures can be watched on YouTube through links from the library’s home page.
• The 22nd annual basket social will be held Sept. 28 at the Diamond Fire Co. social hall. The library is asking for donations of items, gift cards, crafts and baskets with a $25 value. Prizes will be placed in the library window. There will be entertainment by Mick Peters and John Ortiz and food will be available for purchase. Tickets are $5 apiece. You do not need to be present to win. Tickets are now available at the library.
• The Friends of the Library group will meet at 5 p.m. Sept. 10 at the library. New friends are always welcome.
• The library takes donations of books. We do not take encyclopedias, National Geographic magazines or Reader’s Digest condensed books.
• The library is changing its book sale. As of April 1, the library will be selling tote bags for $5 that the buyer can then fill with books and items from our book sale area. Individual hardbacks will be $1 and paperbacks will be 50 cents. The tote bags are green with a drawing of the library building on them.
• Library hours are Monday and Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Tuesday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.; closed Thursday and Sunday. Contact us at 610-767-6461.
For all Slatington Library information, visit www.slatelibrary.com.