Palmerton library news
• Preschool story hour is held at 10:30 a.m. every Friday during the school year. It is free and open to the public.
• Watercolor painting classes are offered for children and for adults. Contact the teacher at 610-737-9844 or email@example.com for more information on dates and times.
• Homework Helpers for Grades 1-8: 3:15-4 p.m. Monday and Wednesday. Volunteer tutors will help homework and other assignments. It is free, but parents must register each child.
• Teen Advisory Group for teens in grades 5-12. Meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month at 3:30 p.m. Call the library and ask for Christine for details.
Activities for all
• Knitting Club meets the first Monday of each month from 6-8 p.m. Free and open to anyone interested in knitting and crocheting of all skill levels.
• Third Monday Book Club meets the third Monday of each month from noon to 1:30 p.m. and discusses a different book each month. New members are always welcome. The Jan. 21 book will be “Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee” by Dee Brown.
• Yoga classes are offered at 9 a.m. every Saturday. Call the teacher at 570-436-1762 for more information or stop in on Saturday.
• Library Board of Directors meets at 4 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month. Meetings are open to the public.
• Friends of the Palmerton Area Library meet four times a year. The next meeting will be at 7 p.m. Jan. 8. Everyone is welcome.
• Quilt Guild: The Sew What Quilt Guild meets at 7 p.m. at the library on the second Thursday of each month. New members and visitors are always welcome. Please use the side door.
• Blue Mountain Fiber Guild: Exploring all things related to fiber arts (spinning, weaving, etc.) No sheep necessary to join. Check it out at 7 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month.
• Our Family History: Do you know who your family is? There’s a chance to find out. Come to the library on the second Tuesday of each month from 6-7:30 p.m. to learn how to research your family history.
• Get your bumper sticker now for $1.
Basement book sale
The basement book sale is open during regular library hours. Stop in to see more than 2,000 items for sale including hardcover and paperback books, movies, puzzles, games and lots of kids books. New items come in weekly so there is always new stuff. Consider volunteering for the book sale to sort and shelve items as they are received. Contact the library to sign up to be a volunteer. All proceeds benefit the library.
Check out the library website at www.palmertonarealibrary.com for these free online databases:
Novelist: get book discussion guides, award-winning books, book recommendations for age ranges and reader types.
BrainFuse: practice tests on various subjects and grade levels, GED exams, ASVAB, etc.
OverDrive: Download free eBooks and eAudiobooks.
Rosetta Stone: learn a new language
Ancestry.com: search for your family history (in-library use only)
LawDepot: create your own legal documents, wills, rental agreements, etc.
Art show and lunch
An art show and lunch sponsored by the Friends of the Library will be held from noon to 3 p.m. Jan. 27.
View and purchase work by local artists and enjoy a delicious lunch. Tickets are $7 each.
If you would like to enter artwork, call the library at 610-826-3424 for more information.
Palmerton Area Library is now on Amazon Smile. While shopping on Amazon, search for Amazon Smile and find Palmerton Area Library. A portion of every sale will be donated to the library.
Check out all the library activities at www.palmertonarealibrary.com. Look for us on Facebook.