Franklin to pursue ballfield upgrade funds
Franklin Township has agreed to pursue funding to upgrade Christman Ballfield.
On a 2-0 vote, supervisors on Tuesday agreed to support the Franklin Township Athletic Association’s efforts to apply for grants for the ballfield. Supervisor Jason Frey was absent.
That came after the board heard from Christine Dettore, regional adviser, Northeast regional office, Bureau of Recreation and Conservation, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.
Also in attendance were Retired Maj. Gen. (Marvin) Jay Barry, and Mike Birnbaum of the Franklin Township Athletic Association.
Dettore suggested that the township look into a Greenways, Trails, and Recreation Program grant through the state Department of Community and Economic Development.
She said the most that could be obtained from the grant is $250,000, and comes with a 15% match. The application is due by the end of the May.
Dettore said the project would improve drainage at the fields, improve access to the property, and include upgrades to make the facility ADA accessible,
It was noted that the Franklin Township Athletic Association could use $37,500 as a match.
Dettore added that other grant applications should be available over the summer.
She said the fact that it has to be Americans with Disabilities Act compliant drives up the costs.
Board Chairman Fred Kemmerer Jr. said they need to be sure “the dominoes are lined up perfectly.”
Barry, who has already given a donation, suggested that they talk with Carbon Engineering to have them put a plan together, and then look to pursue grants.
“We’ll talk with the Little League and determine what the priorities are,” Barry said.
Kemmerer said he would endorse the project.
“You have my full support to do what you have to to get the ball rolling,” Kemmerer said. “I think that our parks are probably the crown jewel of our township.”
In the spring of 2022, supervisors unanimously approved a settlement regarding the ballfield’s concession stand.
Also at that time, supervisors authorized Kemmerer to sign the proof of loss on behalf of the township with the Pennsylvania Intergovernmental Risk Management Association regarding the concession stand.
The settlement was in the amount of $23,500, said supervisor Robin Cressley.
Previously, water pipes burst, which resulted in flooding that caused a mold issue at the concession stand.
Cressley said the incident happened around February 2021, and was reported to the insurance company.
In February 2022, the board hired the law firm Lieberman, Tamulonis & Hobbs to dispute the claim for Christman Ballfield’s concession stand.