State police report on Schuylkill hit-and-run
State police at Frackville reported investigating the following crashes in Schuylkill County:
• A Schuylkill County driver is facing a charge of hit-and-run following a crash that was reported at 8:13 p.m. on June 24 along Route 924, in East Union Township. Troopers said Larry C. Meier, 61, of Ringtown, was stopped at a stop sign on West Park Avenue in a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado truck while Tyler G. Long, 21, also of Ringtown, was southbound on Route 924. Meier pulled out and attempted to cross 924 and pulled directly into the path of Long. The front of Long’s 2018 Ford F-150XLT hit the front driver side of Meier’s vehicle. The Silverado spun 180 degrees and came to rest across both lanes facing west. The Ford continued southbound, hitting a utility pole and coming to rest in the northbound lane. Meier left the scene before troopers arrived.
No injuries were reported. Troopers cited Meier.
• A crash occurred at 6:44 p.m. June 22 at the intersection of Route 54 and Lakewood Avenue in Ryan Township. Troopers said Zachary T. Cyr, 27, of Port Carbon, was westbound driving a 2012 Ford Focus and lost control, making a left-hand turn. The Focus began swerving over both lanes of travel before making contact with a 1996 International Harvester garbage truck which was along the road picking up garbage.
Cyr refused medical treatment and his passenger, Scott Kendricks, 37, of Shenandoah, was not injured. The operator of the garbage truck, Raymond E. Neikam, 63, of Hazleton, and his passenger, Broc H. Croll, 18, of Zion Grove, were not injured.
The Ryan Township Fire Company and ambulance corps assisted at the scene.
Cyr was cited for driving while operating privileges are suspended.
• A one-vehicle crash was reported at 11:48 p.m. June 25 along Main Boulevard in East Union Township. Timothy D. McKerns, 40, of Mahanoy City, was traveling northbound when he lost control of his 2007 Pontiac Torrent. The vehicle crossed the center yellow line into the opposing lane of travel then drove off onto the berm and into a grass field. The vehicle then traveled through a tree line where it struck multiple small trees and entered a yard. The vehicle then struck a Jacuzzi, also damaging a deck, gutters and an electrical service unit on a home, before striking the home.
McKerns was not injured and the vehicle was towed.
He was cited for the crash.
• A hit-and-run crash involving a teen riding a bicycle was reported at 3:15 a.m. July 8. Troopers said the incident occurred at the intersection of Cedar and Grove streets in Kline Township. A 17-year-old male riding a Huffy brand bike reported he was traveling across Cedar Street when a vehicle turned from Grove Street onto Cedar. The vehicle hit the rear tire of the bike, then continued northbound on Cedar with the driver failing to stop. The teen was not injured.
• A two-vehicle crash was reported about 3 p.m. July 8 along Route 61 in Blythe Township. Troopers said Shannon M. Haldeman, 35, of Tremont, was northbound in the right lane operating a 2016 Jeep Renegade while Tyvonne W. Conrad, 27, of Pottsville, was northbound in the left lane driving a 2009 Toyota Prius. Conrad approached Haldeman from the rear on a wet roadway.
Conrad lost control of his vehicle with the Prius hitting the rear of the Renegade. The Prius spun 180 degrees clockwise and slid off the right side of the road, sideswiping the guardrail. The Renegade spun 90 degrees clockwise and across both northbound lanes, coming to rest straddling the northbound fog line.
No one was injured. The Renegade was towed.
Troopers cited Conrad for driving a vehicle at a unsafe speed.