Area districts receive school safety grants
State Sen. John Yudichak, I-Luzerne/Carbon, and State Rep. Doyle Heffley, R-Carbon, announce the following school safety and security grants:
• Carbon-Lehigh Intermediate Unit 21 - $307,321
• Jim Thorpe Area School District – $308,507 for security planning and equipment.
• Lehighton Area School District – $40,000 for school safety officer.
• Palmerton Area School District – $35,000 for security planning and equipment.
• Panther Valley School District – $35,000 for assessments, training, security planning and equipment.
• Weatherly Area School District – $30,000 for security planning and equipment.
“Our students, faculty and staff across the 14th Senatorial District and the Commonwealth should feel safe and secure every day that they walk into school,” said Yudichak. “The School Safety and Security Grant Program is a vital resource for our school districts and intermediate units as they work to ensure the safety of their students, faculty and staff.”
“These grants support school security improvements to ensure that students, faculty and staff have a safe learning environment,” said Heffley.
Eligible uses for the grants include hiring school security officers, purchasing security-related technology, completing safety and security assessments, implementing violence prevention curricula, offering counseling services for students, and creating other programs to protect students.
The grant awards are as follows:
State Rep. Jack Rader, R-Monroe, announced Pleasant Valley School District will receive $45,000 for assessments, school safety officer, security planning and equipment.
“We in the General Assembly have made it a priority to ensure our schools provide a safe and secure learning environment for student, faculty and staff,” said Rader. “No parent should have to worry about their children’s safety when they send them off to school.”
State Rep Zach Mako, R-Lehigh/Northampton, announced Northern Lehigh School District has received $365,679 for security upgrades, equipment, planning, training and staff.