Jim Thorpe harriers remain unbeaten
BOB FORD/TIMES NEWS Palmerton's Jessica Debski (7) moves in front of Northwestern's Kylee Bennett during Colonial League play on Wednesday.
The Jim Thorpe boys cross country team remained undefeated (4-0) on the season with a 17-44 victory over Tamaqua and a 21-40 victory over Pottsville.
Jim Thorpe's Christian Fields finished in first place with a time of 18.29, while teammate Jonathan Condly placed second (18.34). Austin Sabol paced Tamaqua, who lost to Pottsville 21-35, with a seventh-place time of 19.52.
In the girls meet, Tamaqua defeated Jim Thorpe 22-33, but suffered a 27-29 setback to Pottsville. The Crimson Tide's Paige Stoner blew away the competition with a time of 19.51. Jim Thorpe's Courtney Capper finished third (24.25) and Tamaqua's Chelsea Frantz placed fourth (24.40). The Lady Olympians (2-2) also dropped a 20-38 decision to Pottsville.
Jim Thorpe 17, Tamaqua 44
Jim Thorpe 21, Pottsville 40
Pottsville 21, Tamaqua 35
1. Christian Field (JT) 18.29, 2. Jonathan Condly (JT) 18.34, 3. Justin Welker (P) 19.12, 4. Edward Hossler (P), 5. Jake Saxon (JT) 19.41, 6. Zach Nace (JT), 7. Dustin Sabol (T), 8. Adam Melnick (T), 9. Jim Gentile (JT), 10. Jake McGeehan (JT), 11. Ben Saxon (JT), 12. Alen Liptock (P), 13. Ryan Scanlin (P), 14. Josh Howell (P), 15. Andy Tite (T).
Tamaqua 22, Jim Thorpe 33
Pottsville 27, Tamaqua 29
Pottsville 20, Jim Thorpe 38
1. Paige Stoner (P) 19.51, 2. Gabrielle Direnzo (P) 23.12, 3. Courtney Capper (JT) 24.25, 4. Chelsea Frantz (T) 24.40, 5. Victoria LaBar (T) 24.43, 6. Stefanie Gensure (T), 7. Nicole Wasserleben (T), 8. Bailey Nagle (P), 9. Robbyn Loyd (JT), 10. Rebecca Sites (P), 11. Chloe Bledsoe (P), 12. Victoria Asbrock (JT), 13. Lauren Howell (P), 14. Melanie Kostecki (T), 15. Amy Jaskot (JT).
The Wreckers pulled off a split with Pine Grove and Blue Mountain on the boys' side of the race, while the Weatherly girls were swept.
Weatherly's Brett Kelly finished second overall in the race for the locals, while Kine Harrison was the top Lady Wrecker in 14th.
Blue Mountain 19, Weatherly 50
Weatherly 27, Pine Grove 28
1. Derek Mosteller (BM) 20:46, 2. Brett Kelly (W) 21:14, 3. Thomas Leukulic (BM) 21:25, 4. Hunter Firing (BM), 5. Nick Cataldo (PG), 6. Stuart Blair (BM), 7. Christian Menuchak (BM), 8. Danny Challenger (BM), 9. Wyatt Kramer (BM), 10. Todd
Marian boys defeated Nativity 22-33, but suffered a 17-38 setback to Minersville.
Minersville had the top four times, led by Wesley Yutko, who ran a time of 20.06. Marian's Matt Greenfield placed fifth in a time of 21.51.
In the girls meet, Marian received a 15-50 forfeit victory against Nativity, while Minersville topped the Fillies by a score of 15-50.
Marian's Mary Susan McAndrew finished eighth with a time of 27.56.
Both Marian teams are 1-2 on the season.
Marian 22, Nativity 33
Minersville 17, Marian 38
Minersville 15, Nativity 50
1. Wesley Yutko (Min) 20.06, 2. Zach Brown (Min) 20.37, 3, Eric Smack (Min) 21.03, 4. Nick Christian (Min) 21.43, 5. Matt Greenfield (Mar) 21.51, 6. Nick Hopeck (Mar), 7. Austin McCullogh (Min), 8. Brett Rushannon (N), 9. Daniel Young (N), 10. Phil DeSantis (Mar), 11. Lucas Rinaldo (Min), 12. Sam Dibiase (Min), 13. Connor Roberts (Mar), 14. Jake Evans (N), 15. Graham Wolk (Mar).
Marian 15, Nativity 50
Minersville 15, Marian 50
Minersville 15, Nativity 50
1. Autumn Pedron (Min) 23.48, 2. Amanda Conshue (Min) 24.49, 3. Casidy Mason (Min) 25.57, 4. Kara Pytko (Min), 5. Brittany Cory (Min), 6. Catie Galore (Min), 7. Corina Yutko (Min), 8. Mary Susan McAndrew (Mar), 9. Kristina Matunis (Mar), 10. Faith Bolich (Min).
Northern Lehigh, Palmerton, Bangor, Notre Dame ES, Saucon Valley-Salisbury
The Palmerton boys team finished 2-1, beating Northern Lehigh and Pen Argyl. The girls teams didn't have enough participants to take part in the competition.
Individually, Northern Lehigh's Gavin Kemery took seventh overall with Palmerton's Zach Svetik finishing eighth. For the girls, Nina Schneider paced the locals with a 13th-place finish, while Palmerton got a 29th place from Erin Dailey.
Salisbury 15, Palmerton 50
Pen Argyl 15, Palmerton 50
Bangor 15, Northern Lehigh 50
Saucon Valley 15, Northern Lehigh 50
Notre Dame ES 15, Northern Lehigh 50
1. Elizabeth Chikota (SV) 17:53, 2. Meredith Colton (B) 20:50, 3. Angelina Biondo (PA) 21:11, 4. Kelly Gonoude (S) 21:40, 5. Kailey Jackett (ND) 21:52, 6. Regan Murphy (PA), 7. Bailey Shaiban (SV), 8. Emily Hoff (SV), 9. Courtney Krechel (ND), 10. Alyssa Weaver (PA), 11. Virginia Cobb (B), 12. Rebecca McCabe (SV), 13. Nina Schneider (NL), 14. Xinqiao Zhing (SV), 15. Elizabeth Seip (SV), 16. Julia Laudadio (S), 17. Brianna Bianco (PA), 18. Madison Leis (PA), 19. Brooke Rogers (S), 20. Allison Peeney (ND);
Salisbury 19, Palmerton 38
Palmerton 23, Pen Argyl 36
Palmerton 25, Northern Lehigh 30
Notre Dame ES 27, Northern Lehigh 28
Saucon Valley 17, Northern Lehigh 34
Bangor 18, Northern Lehigh 41
1. Brandon Tocket (B) 16:32, 2. Charlie Sell (B) 16:39, 3. Mike Sheptuk (ND) 16:48, 4. Kyle Gonoude (S) 16:51, 5. Shane Ryder (B) 16:58, 6. Nathan Fritzinger (SV), 7. Gavin Kemery (NL), 8. Zach Svetik (P), 9. Sinjon Bartel (S), 10. Ian Carey (S), 11. Ty Smith (PA), 12. Evan Ippolito (B), 13. Brendan Weaver (SV), 14. Greg Eyre (S), 15. Patrick Golden (S), 16. Connor Naughton (ND), 17. Jeremy Smith (SV), 18. Kyle McCarthy (ND), 19. Shaun Seiler (P), 20. Cullen King (PA).
Shifter (PG), 11. Chad Bogosh (BM), 12. Connor Eifert (BM), 13. Dillon Bizarre (W), 14. Chris MacNeal (W), 15. Ethan Shobe (PG);
Pine Grove 15, Weatherly 50
Blue Mountain 15, Weatherly 50
1. McKayla Dally (PG) 22:18, 2. Caitlyn Dukemen (BM) 22:44, 3. Shannon Henninger (BM) 24:09, 4. Sarah Brooks (BM), 5. Caroline Rickard (BM), 6. Katie Thompson (BM), 7. Elisa Seip (PG), 8. Jill Heffner (BM), 9. Gabby Krause (BM), 10. Olivia Sopakovsky (BM), 11. Emily Leymeister (BM), 12. Courtney Herring (PG), 13. Ally Johnson (BM), 14. Kina Harrison (W), 15. Kaitlyn Sernak (W);
Kassie Kilanowski scored two first half goals and led Northwestern to a 3-1 Colonial League victory over Palmerton.
Haley Dietrich added the final score for the Lady Tigers off a Kilanowski assist, while Palmerton's lone goal came off the stick off Mikayla Krupa.
The Lady Bombers held an 8-7 edge in shots and a 9-3 advantage in corners.
Notre Dame G.P.
Gio Mowrey scored four consecutive goals to lead Notre Dame to an 8-0 Colonial League victory over Palmerton.
Mowrey scored the last two goals of the first half and the first two goals of the second half as the Crusaders outshot the Bombers 18-0.
Rich Roselli made eight saves in goal for Palmerton, who drops to 3-3 on the season.
Northern Lehigh's Sean Mulcahy scored two goals in the second half to help the Bulldogs grab their first win of the season, 2-0 over Wilson.
In a game that saw the 'Dawgs outshoot their opponents 14-6, Everette Bevans assisted Mulcahy on one of the scores.
Nate Rex had six saves for the winners in goal, while his counterpart, Erik Wallace had 12 saves in the losing effort.
Northern Lehigh improves to 1-6 overall, 1-3 in the league.
The Lady Olympians swept through Williams Valley in volleyball action, 25-22, 25-20, and 25-19.
Leading the winners were Riley Carroll with 17 assists and six aces, while Makenzie Walck had four kills and a block. Teammate Jocelyn DeMarco had four kills and two blocks. Erin Shigo contributed three aces and three kills.
Northern Lehigh and Wilson fought to a 1-1 Colonial League tie.
Darbey Pender took an assist from Rachel Pappas to put Northern Lehigh on the board.
Playing only nine holes, Cole Miller fired a 36 to lead Northwestern to a 221-251 Colonial League victory over Pen Argyl.
Zack Caruso backed Miller with a 40.
Madison Mennell's 46 was the low score for Pen Argyl.
Pen Argyl 251
Cole Miller 36, Zack Caruso 40, Kevin Shuey 45, Brandon Eden 48, Nick Vecellio 52.
Madison Mennell 46, Devon LaBarre 50, Sam Martini 51, Anthony Polizzi 51, Nick DeJesso 53.
Played at Cherry Valley, Par 71.
Bangor carded a 450-478 Colonial League victory over Palmerton.
Tanner Brescancine shot an 84 to lead the Slaters.
Charles Debski fired a 90 to pace Palmerton.
Bangor 450, Palmerton 478
Tanner Brescancine 84, Kaleb Happel 85, Joel Bruch 89, Casey Clark 96, Kevin Ammerman 96.
Charles Debski 90, Justin Nunn 94, Casey Cook 96, John Frace 98, Tyler Grammes 100.
Played at Blue Ridge Country Club, Par 72.
North Schuylkill posted a 318-335 Schuylkill League victory over Tamaqua.
Hunter Mickatavage's four-over-par 76 led North Schuylkill, while Anthony Lewis carded a 76 to lead Tamaqua.
North Schuylkill 318,
Hunter Mickatavage 76, Brett Ennis 80, Justine Paul 81, Jake Damiter 81.
Anthony Lewis 76, Mike Weinert 83, Derek Cinicola 83, Matt Stanek 93.
Played at Villas Crossing, Par 72.
Marian's Mark Postupack shot a five-over-par 78 to lead Marian to a 340-401 Schuylkill League victory over Williams Valley.
Austin Paisley fired a round of 86.
For Williams Valley, Noah Criswell (83) was the only player to break 100.
Marian 340, Williams Valley 401
Mark Postupack 78, Austin Paisley 86, Albert McFadden 87, Mike Latoff 89.
Noah Criswell 83, Kent Schaeffer 100, Roofina Ali 104, Paige Picola 114.
Played at Mahanoy Vallley Country Club, Par 73.
The Hilltoppers pulled out a 338-389 victory.
Colin McGovern led the way for the winners, with a low round of 83. Lucas Moyer followed with a 84.
Luke Figas carded an 88 for Weatherly (1-8).
Nativity 338, Weatherly 389
Colin McGovern 83, Lucas Moyer 84, Andrew Belding 85, Jeff Yordy 86.
Luke Figas 88, Josh Reimer 90, Kyle Osifat 100, Devin Berger 111.
Played at Mountain Laurel, Par 72.