Skip to main content

Hurricanes top Marian

  • Hurricanes top Marian
    Copyright 2010
Published September 11. 2010 09:00AM

Over the span of a 48-minute game, 10 seconds seems rather insignificant.

Don't tell that to Marian, however.

Friday night against Schuylkill Haven, 10 seconds led to the Colts' downfall.

The Hurricanes used an interception return for a touchdown and a recovered fumble on the ensuing kickoff to take control of the game and went on to post a 25-8 Anthracite Football League victory.

"Schuylkill Haven is too good of a team to turn the ball over against," said Marian coach Stan Dakosty. "In a game like this, turnovers are huge.

"We were behind 12-0 and I think Schuylkill Haven had one first down. Giving them a touchdown and a short field on back-to-back plays like that really put us in a hole."

Brian Murphy made the game's first big play for the Hurricanes when he picked off a Corey Quick pass and returned it 32 yards for a score with 7:17 left in the first quarter.

After Marian's Paul Martin fumbled the kickoff, Haven need just three plays to score as Tyler Naus rumbled 16 yards to make it 12-0.

That was all the Schuylkill Haven defense needed as it limited Marian to just 162 yards in total offense and a late touchdown.

"We were still in the game after those early scores because our defense was playing well," said Dakosty. "But we needed to make something happen offensively and we couldn't do anything. Give Haven credit. They gave us no room to move. They really kept us in check."

Despite finishing the first half with just two first downs and 50 yards in offense, the Hurricanes were in control throughout. They finally broke the game open in the fourth quarter when reserve back Tyler Dissinger broke two long touchdown runs.

"We're going to play eight backs," said Schuylkill Haven coach Mike Farr. "Everyone knows their job. it doesn't matter who scores. We stress team offense and team defense.

"It's nice to bring in a kid like Tyler, who runs a 4.6 40, into the game in the third and fourth quarter when everyone else is starting to get tired. He's part of our second group of backs that go in. They get three, four or five carries and help keep our starters fresh."

Dissinger's first big run covered 50 yards and came with 11:01 left in the game. He followed that with a 30-yard scoring run the next time the Hurricanes (2-0) got the football.

The Colts finally got on the board when back-up quarterback Ryan Karnish tossed a 20-yard touchdown pass to JT Keer with less than a minute to play.

"Marian is a little banged up right now, but they still played well," said Farr. "Hopefully we'll get to play them again down the road when both teams are healthy."

Farr was referring to the fact that Marian (1-1) entered the game without three defensive starters and was missing a couple of key offensive players as well. That situation got worse when the Colts' star halfback Paul Martin was injured in the second quarter and couldn't return.

Dakosty wanted no part of using the injuries as an excuse, however.

"That would be an injustice to Schuylkill Haven," he said. "They played extremely well, especially on defense. Injuries are part of the game. Good teams have to find a way to overcome them."

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries