District receives Safe and Drug Free Schools grant
Palmerton Area School District has received $5,000 through a Safe and Drug Free Schools Grant.
Superintendent Carol Boyce reported to the school board on Tuesday that the district has received the grant, which she termed "make-up money."
Boyce said the money would be applied toward the $14,000 cost the district incurs through the Carbon/Monroe/Pike Drug & Alcohol Commission. Last year, she said the district received $6,000 through the grant.
Resident Josann Harry questioned whether the district could utilize the $5,000 to reinstate the student D.A.R.E. program, to which Boyce said it could not because it will be used to defray district expenses.
Also as part of her report, Boyce announced that as of Tuesday, there were 625 students enrolled at S.S. Palmer Elementary/Parkside Education Center, and 373 students at Towamensing Elementary.
Boyce said the largest class size is in the fifth grade, where there is an average of 28 students per class at Palmer, and an average of 25 students per class at Towamensing.
She noted that 29 students have moved, with 28 new students enrolled, at Palmer/Parkside, while Towamensing has gained 25 new enrollees.
In other business, the board:
- Approved Barry Isset to manage the S.S. Palmer steps project at a cost of $2,175, and supervision as needed at a cost of $80 an hour.
- Removed from the table the motion for the SAT and ACT Prep Program.
- Approved the SAT and ACT Prep Program, cost to be paid from the Plato Recovery Program with a small student fee for the workbook paid by the student.
- Removed from the table the consideration of employment of Tami Cunfer.
- Approved, on a 7-2 vote, with directors Carl Bieling and Susan Debski opposed, the employment of Cunfer to the position of part-time four hour/day secretary to the Director of Facilities, effective Aug. 18, 2010, at the rate of $11.33 an hour.
- Removed from the table the consideration of employment of Kenneth Mettam.
- Approved, on a 6-3 vote, with directors Carol Dwyer, Clarence Myers and Bieling opposed, the employment of Mettam as a temporary professional employee to the position of Music Instructor at S.S. Palmer, grades K-6, effective Aug. 23, 2010 at BS Step 3 ($39,122) of the teacher's negotiated contract. Directors Stuart Henritzy and Snyder said they reluctantly voted in favor to settle a litigation issue against the district.
- Approved the employment of Ryan Sharkazy as junior/senior high health/physical education/gifted teacher at a BS Step 1 salary of $37,507, effective Aug. 23, 2010.
- Approved the employment of Alexander Knoll as high school math teacher at a BS Step 1 salary of $37,507, effective Aug. 23, 2010.
- Approved the employment of Caitlin Varga as a long term substitute librarian at a BS Step 1 salary of $37,507, effective Aug. 23, 2010.
- Approved the employment of Stacy White as high school instructional assistant, at a salary of $12 an hour, effective the 2010-11 school year.
- Accepted the resignation of Danielle Hack, high school math teacher, effective July 31, 2010.
- Accepted the resignation of Shannon Seremula Holubowksi, high school instructional assistant, effective Aug. 25, 2010.
- Approved Ryan Sharzaky and Whitney Babyak for professional development during the summer of 2010 at the rate of $28 an hour.
- Approved Matthew Krempasky as a substitute teacher.
- Approved Michael Stefanek with Krempasky, Jeremy Coleman with Sharzaky, Mike Gobert and Patti Jo Boyd as co-mentors with Babyak, and Darlene Mack with high school math teacher to be announced, as teachers with mentors for the 2010-11 school year at a stipend of $1,321.
- Approved Ralph Andrews, Ted Balliet, Donna DeCesaris, Jackie Depue, Amberly Frey, Barbara Fitzgerald, Michelle Frantz, Amanda Frey, Brenda Gattusco, Trisha Green, Mari Gruber, Frank Johannes, Jr., Carol Judd, Beth Klein-Newton, Christine Kosman, Ashley Krustick, Carissa Longo, Allison Makar, Ann Marie Oblas, Nancy Ord, Patricia Passick, Joshua Presgraves, Laura Prusak/Torres, Linda Sarver, Valerie Schaeffer, Shannon Seremula, Stephen Shanberger, Jason Shellhammer, Robin Snyder, Michael Sosik, Jennifer Stoves, Kenneth Sutton, Jr., Rachel Taras, Tricial Wampole, Stacy White, Joshua Wuchter, and Robert Drewes as substitute teachers.
- Approved Marybeth Altemus, Frances Carazo, Tami Cunfer, Darlene Dugan, Allison Goodhile, Cynthias Grosso, Brenda Heckman, Amy Kline, Kathy Malarkey, BillyJo Moyer, Gail Sacelaris, Tracy Serfass, Dianne Smelas, Peggy Washburn, and Lisa Zupa as substitute secretaries.
- Approved Altemus, Janice Blose, Carazo, Grosso, Kline, Matthew Kosciolek, Moyer, Gail Sacelaris, Washburn, Jacqueline Williamson and Zupa as substitute instructional assistants/non-instructional assistants.
- Approved Shawn Borger, Ann Marie Martin and Terri Sebelin as substitute nurses.
- Approved Grosso and Denise Musco as substitute food service.
- Approved David Bobst, Hal Eckhart, Layne Greenzweig, Clark Johnson, Jeffrey Mann, Richard Melander, and Gene Prutzman as substitute custodians.
- Accepted the Palmerton Area High School District Athletic Training Honor Code/Discipline Code.
- Accepted the Memoranda of Understanding between the Palmerton Area School District and both the Palmerton Police Department and the Pennsylvania State Police.
- Accepted the Debtor's Joint Plan of Reorganization under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code for Horsehead Industries.
- Approved the following handbooks: S.S. Palmer Elementary School 2010-11 Parent/Student Handbook; Parkside Education Center 2010-11 Parent/Student Handbook; Palmerton Area High School 2010-11 Student Handbook; Palmerton Area Junior High School 2010-11 Student/Parent Handbook; Towamensing Elementary 2010-11 Student/Parent Handbook; Palmerton Area High School 2010-11 Faculty Handbook; Palmeton Area Junior High School 2010-11 Faculty Handbook; Towamensing Elementary 2010-11 Professional Staff Handbook; and the Palmerton Area School District 2010-11 Athletic Handbook.
- Accepted disability leave in conjunction with family medical leave followed by unpaid medical leave for the 2010-11 school year for professional employee #4233.
- Approved the attached tuition reimbursements.