By Bob Urban
From a reader:
Dear Mr. Urban,
I read your article (about words that don't rhyme) and it was very interesting. I came across a website that listed more than four words in the English language that do not rhyme, so here you go:
Words With Nothing To Rhyme To...
To the best of my knowledge, there are 70 words in the English language which do not rhyme with any other words!
They are (in alphabetical order):
A - Almond, Angry, Angst, Anxious, Aspirin
B - Bachelor, Breadth, Bulb, Bulbous
C - Calumny, Cannabis, Caveat, Chaos, Chimney, Chocolate, Circus, Citrus, Citizen, Condom
D - Denizen, Depth, Diamond, Different
E - Eighth, Elbow, Else, Empty, Engine
F - Fift, Film, Foible, Fugue
G - Galaxy, Glimpsed, Golf, Gulf
H - Hostage, Husband
I - Iron
J - Justice
K - ...
L - Laundry, Luggage
M - Monster, Month, Mulcts
N - Ninth, Neutron
O - Obvious, Of, Office, Olive, Orange
P - Pint, Pedant, Penguin, Pizza, Plankton, Plinth, Promise, Purple
Q - ...
R - Reptile
S - Sanction, Sandwich, Shadow, Silver
T - Transfer, Twelfth
U - ...
V - Vacuum
W - Width, Wolf
X - ...
Y - ...
Z - ...
Also, from another reader, some words of wisdom, well, sort of:
1.To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
2. When fish are in schools they sometimes take debate.
3. A thief who stole a calendar got 12 months.
4. When the smog lifts in Los Angeles, U.C.L.A.
5. The professor discovered that her theory of earthquakes was on shakyground.
6. The batteries were given out free of charge.
7. A dentist and a manicurist got married. They fought tooth and nail.
8. A will is a dead give-away.
9. If you don't pay your exorcist you can get repossessed.
10. Show me a piano falling down a mineshaft and I will show you A-Flatminer.
11. You are stuck with your debt if you can't budge it.
12. A boiled egg is hard to beat.
13.When you've seen one shopping center you've seen a mall.
14. Police were called to the day center when a three year old wasresisting a rest.
15. Did you hear about the fellow whose whole left side was cut off? He's all right now.
16. If you take your laptop for a run, you could jog your memory.
17. A bicycle can't stand alone. It's two tired.
18. When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.
19. The guy who fell on the upholstery machine was fully recovered.
20. He had a photographic memory which was never developed.
21. When she saw her first strands of gray, she thought she would dye.