Palmerton library news
• Preschool Story Hour is held at 10:30 a.m. every Friday during the school year. Free and open to the public.
• Watercolor Painting Classes are offered for children and for adults. Contact the teacher at 610-737-9844 or email@example.com for more information on dates and times.
• Homework Helpers for Grades 1-8: 3:15-4 p.m. Volunteer tutors will help your child with his/her homework and other assignments. Free but parents must register each child.
• Teen Advisory Group for teens in grades 5-12. Meetings are the first and third Thursdays of the month at 3:30 p.m. Call the library and ask for Christine for details.
• Saturday Story Hour for kids ages 0-5. April 13 from 10:30-11:15 a.m. Stories and songs. Free.
• Peapods Story Time for toddlers ages 0-2. April 9 at 11 a.m. Stories, music and finger plays. Free.
• Tweens Scavenger Hunt for students ages 10-13. April 10 at 3:30 p.m. Stop at the front desk for more information. Free. Great prizes!
Activities for all
• Third Monday Book Club meets the third Monday of each month from noon to 1:30 p.m. and discusses a different book each month. New members are always welcome. April 15 book will be “Far From the Madding Crowd” by Thomas Hardy.
• Yoga Classes are offered every Saturday morning at 9 a.m. Call the teacher at 570-436-1762 for more information or stop in on Saturday morning.
• Library Board of Directors meets the third Wednesday of each month at 4 p.m. Meetings are open to the public.
• Friends of the Palmerton Area Library meet four times a year. Next meeting will be at 7 p.m. April 2. Everyone welcome.
• Quilt Guild: The Sew What Quilt Guild meets at the library on the second Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. New members and visitors are always welcome. Please use the side door.
• Blue Mountain Fiber Guild: Exploring all things related to fiber arts (spinning, weaving, etc.) No sheep necessary to join. Check it out on the first Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m.
• Our Family History: Do you know who your family is? There’s a chance to find out. Come to the library on the second Tuesday of each month from 6-7:30 p.m. to learn how to research your family history.
• Lunch Hour Lit: April 11 at noon. Bring your lunch (coffee and water provided) Listen to a reading of short stories by humorist David Sedaris.
• Qigong Class for Beginners, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Mondays with instructor Kiki Peppard. Gentle relaxing exercises that are coordinated to soft music that incorporates breathing with smooth, slow flowing movement. For more information, call 570-460-8485.
The Friends of the Library is sponsoring a bus trip on April 6 to the Harrisburg Civil War Museum and Broad Street Farmers Market. The bus departs at 8 a.m. and returns at 5 p.m. Payment must be made when you sign up for the trip at the library.
The Annual Photography Show will be 2-4 p.m. April 28. Tickets are $3 each.
To enter the show, bring framed photos to the library by April 25. Refreshments will be provided by the Friends of the Library.
Food for fines
April is “Food for Fines” month. Donate one nonperishable food item in place of each $1 fine owed. Eliminate all your late fines and feed the hungry at the same time. All donated food items will be given to the CACPAC Food Pantry in Palmerton.
Beginner and Intermediate classes start on April 2 from 5-7 p.m. Call the library to sign up now.
A spring concert featuring Seasons will be held at 2 p.m. April 14. It is a fusion of Celtic and roots music on harp hammered dulcimer, mandolin, fiddle and more.
Diane Danielson is retiring as Library director in April. On April 1, the new director will be Christine DeSousa. Come join us in the gallery on from 5-7 p.m. April 4 to say goodbye to Diane and hello to Christine and wish them good luck in their new adventures. Everyone is welcome.
Follow the library on Facebook. Check out more activities at Palmertonarealibrary.com.