Lansford discusses borough garage
Lansford Borough Council again discussed the need for a new borough garage at its meeting Wednesday.
Councilman Joe Butrie, under old business, said the lack of a garage delayed snow plowing and removal operations during January’s storm.
The equipment problems could have been avoided if it was stored inside a garage, he said.
The borough has been talking about building a new garage for a decade or more and even cleared land along Dock Street to build, he said. Now, the borough needs to start building one, Butrie said.
The borough’s previous garage, a stone structure on the former Silberline complex, was damaged by fire last year.
Efforts were then made to move the public works operations to the former Zimmerman property, also along Dock Street.
Both were considered temporary solutions.
Council Vice President Joe Genits said council should decide whether or not to take out a loan to build a new garage, but no action was taken on the matter.
Also under old business, Butrie also pointed out that they had an issue with dumpsters not being removed from borough streets ahead of the storm. Residents are to have dumpsters removed, he said.
The borough office does inform residents as part of the dumpster permit that they must be removed. Council members noted that while the resident signs, it’s the dumpster companies that remove them.
Butrie also said that residents need to have vehicles removed when a street is posted for snow removal from 12:01 a.m. to midnight the same day, and vehicles were towed.
Council also discussed revising the proposed skills game ordinance, and an ordinance regarding the parking along the Ridge Street business district.