The parishioners and leaders of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, New Philadelphia, celebrated the dedication of their new church during a ceremony held on this date.
Overseeing the building program was the Rev. Robert J. Potts, pastor there since 1980. He engaged the services of Noble Quandel & Son, Inc., Minersville, to study the condition of the original church built in 1895 and enlarged in 1915.
The study showed an estimated $500,000 in repairs were needed to the church, whereas building a new facility would cost an estimated $800,000.
The parish proceeded with the second alternative as an overwhelming response of the 325-family congregation favored the new building.