Log In

Reset Password

Pleasant Valley OKs tax rebate for seniors

The Pleasant Valley School Board passed a resolution Thursday night to provide a property tax rebate to qualifying senior citizens for the 2021 calendar year.

According to the resolution, the rebate is being provided because the school board “recognizes the severe economic plight of certain senior citizens with fixed and limited income who are faced with rising living costs and constantly increasing tax burdens upon their homesteads.”

The Senior Citizens Property Tax Rebate Resolution of 2021 looks at the total of all income received by a claimant and his or her spouse while they reside in the house they own. The claimant is the person that files a claim for the property tax rebate. There are certain qualifications they must meet. These are:

• The claimant has to be 65 years or older as of Dec. 31, 2021.

• If the claimant isn’t 65 years old, then the spouse that lives with him or her has to be 65 years old or older as of Dec. 31, 2021.

• If the claimant is widowed in 2021, then he or she has to be 50 years old or older as of Dec. 31, 2021.

• If the claimant is 18 years old or older and is permanently disabled during 2021, or unable to work due to medically determined physical or mental disability that is expected to continue indefinitely.

• If the claimant receives supplemental security income payments and meets all of the other requirements.

The rebate amount is dependent on household income. If eligible for the rebate, the property owner would pay the total amount of their property tax after the rebate is subtracted from it.

The income qualification is:

• People who make between $0 and $8,000 per year in income could receive a maximum rebate of $650.

• If the income is between $8,001 to $15,000 per year, then the rebate is a $500.

• For an income of $15,001 to $18,000, the rebate is $350.

• And for an income of $18,001 to $35,000 per year, the rebate if $250.

Anyone who is eligible can file a claim with the business manager for Pleasant Valley School District beginning Feb. 1. All claims must be filed by June 30.

Forms can be obtained from the school district and must be used when filing a claim. Only one claimant per household can file.

When submitting the form, the claimant has to provide:

• A reasonable proof of household income,

• The size and nature of the property claimed as a homestead,

• The tax receipt or other proof that the real property taxes on the homestead have been paid” no later than the date the claim is filed.

• Proof of the claimant’s age.

• If younger than 65 years old, then proof of being widowed (the spouse’s death certificate) or proof of permanent disability.

There are penalties for fraudulent claims.