Log In

Reset Password

Woman charged in hit-and-run that injured Marian student

A Philadelphia woman is being charged after police said her vehicle struck a Marian Catholic High School student and she fled the scene.

According to the affidavit of probable cause filed by officer Karl Harig of the Tamaqua Police Department in the case against Kayla Hayes:

At 1:50 p.m. Nov. 20, officers were dispatched to a hit-and-run crash involving a 2008 Subaru Forester, for which the registration had expired in May.

The vehicle was being driven by Hayes, and struck 16-year-old Eric Richardson, in the area of 755 E. Broad St. Police said he was almost at the double yellow line when he was struck by the left front quarter panel and mirror of the Subaru.

Hayes got out of the vehicle and looked at the pedestrian. She then got back into the vehicle and drove east on E. Broad, made a right on Laurel Street, and then another right onto Arlington Street where she parked the vehicle.

Hayes and a male passenger then got out of the vehicle and ran into the woods.

A second female with small children who was also in the vehicle got into a vehicle that showed up at the scene a short time later.

The Subaru came back to a male owner in Philadelphia, and a search for insurance and vehicle registration also produced documentation that Hayes had been in a relationship with the vehicle owner.

Multiple witnesses came forth and described Hayes, and were able to identify her as the driver of the vehicle through photographs.

Additional information established through PennDOT and criminal history records revealed that Hayes did not have a driver’s license.

She had been stopped by Lansford Borough Police Department in March and was cited for driving without a license.

Her failure to respond to the citation resulted in her operator license number being suspended by PennDOT.

At the time of the Nov. 20 crash, her operating privilege had been suspended since May 28.

Her residence, according to PennDOT, is the 2200 block of Longshore Avenue, Philadelphia, but at the time of the stop by Lansford police, she was residing on W. Abbott Street.

She has since left the residence, and fled to the residence of her father on Tilton Street in Philadelphia.

Court papers say, “At no point in time did Hayes attempt to stop to assist the pedestrian, nor did she or anyone else in the vehicle assist and/or call the police to report the crash.”

Richardson’s father reported to police that his son suffered a fractured skull and two broken bones on his lower right leg. He remains in critical condition at Lehigh Valley Hospital.

Hayes faces charges on accidents involving death or personal injury; accidents involving death/injury while not licensed, both felonies. Misdemeanor charges are failure to stop and give information to render aid; immediate notice of accident to police department; driving without a license; failure to notify change in address; driving while operating privilege suspended or revoked; operating vehicle without required finance responsibility, and registration and certificate of title required.

Tamaqua Police Chief Michael Hobbs said a warrant has been issued for Hayes.

Ambulance crews tend to Eric Richardson, a hit-and-run victim. COPYRIGHT LARRY NEFF/SPECIAL TO THE TIMES NEWS