Palmerton school district business manager gives notice
Palmerton Area School District accepted the resignation Tuesday night of its business manager Ryan Kish.
Kish, who started with Palmerton in January 2016, was hired last month by Northwestern Lehigh School District for the same position.
“While my decision to leave was not an easy one, I am excited for new challenges and the opportunity for continued professional growth,” Kish said. “My goal was to leave the district in better financial shape then when I first started and I can confidently say that I have accomplished this. Today, I am proud to say that the Palmerton Area School District is better positioned fiscally than any other school in the county.”
While Kish’s resignation was effective Aug. 19, Palmerton can hold him for 90 days from that date, according to his contract with the district.
Kish’s contract with Northwestern, which calls for him to make $127,500, is effective Nov. 22.
His current five-year contract with Palmerton started July 1, 2019, at which point he was slated to make $96,400, with a 2 percent increase each year.
“For the past almost six years I have had the honor and privilege to serve this district and community and have put forth my best effort into making a positive impact here,” Kish added. “I am thankful for the opportunity to work with such great staff, students and community members.”
Palmerton has advertised its business manager and, according to the job posting on its website, is accepting applications until Sept. 27.
Qualified applicants, the posting states, must possess a Bachelor of Science or Arts degree in finance, accounting, or business; a minimum of five years’ experience in public education; and experience in managing service-oriented programs.
Other board approvals included:
• Hiring of Angela Rivera as elementary teacher, third grade, S.S. Palmer Elementary. at $46,750.
• Hiring of JoLynn Gazo as secondary librarian/gifted teacher, long-term substitute, at an annual salary of $46,750 prorated effective Oct. 13, 2021, through the remainder of the 2021-22 school year.
• Hiring of Amanda Cappella to teach five hours a week of homebound instruction at the rate of $33 per hour through the end of the first semester of the 2021-22 school year.
• Ryan Schulz as substitute cafeteria employee at the rate of $10 per hour.
• Resignation of Brianna Bush as elementary teacher, third grade, at S.S. Palmer Elementary.
• Retirement of Eileen Heiney as food service worker effective Dec. 3.
• Miranda Allen as curriculum advisory council chair for art/music/technical education at the high school for the 2021-22 school year with stipend of $1,756.