Pleasant Valley hires principal for intermediate school
The Pleasant Valley School Board approved a new principal for the intermediate school.
In an 8-1 vote, Kendal Askins was promoted from assistant principal to principal after the departure of Todd Breiner. Director Laura Jecker voted no, but didn’t give a reason for her vote. The position pays $95,000.
Askins was hired in June 2018 to fill the assistant principal’s position at PVI. Askins is a graduate of Queens College with a Bachelor of Arts in mathematics education and a master’s degree in mathematics education. She attended Queens College and Wilkes University graduate programs.
Askins previously served as a gifted teacher in the East Stroudsburg School District.
Other changes to staffing also include:
• Retirements: Robert Siglin, custodian, PVMS
• Resignations: Bethany Taggart, substitute teacher; Aleisa Kinsey, Honor Society, junior adviser, PVMS; and Teresa Reed, substitute food service employee
• Sabbatical leave during the second half of the school year: Valerie Eblin, ELA teacher, PVMS
• Change to current assignment: Gerald Radcliffe, from casual security to part-time security, replacing Bryan Kohberger; and Nancy Heckman, paraprofessional at PVHS to PVIS
• Supplemental contracts: athletic non-coaching - Carol Priebe, cross-country, junior high timer; Michael Wassuta, cross-country, junior high timer; football, junior varsity crew, freshman chain crew, junior high chain crew; Ryan O’Keefe, assistant announcer and spotter; Erin Tortora, football, varsity ticket staff.
• Supplemental contracts, nonathletic: Kathleen Dekmar, Honor Society - Junior Adviser, PVMS; April Kresge, Musical Assistant Director, PVMS; Julie Kresge, Gifted Department, chairperson (K-12) at PVES/PVIS.
The school board also made a motion to approve all current teachers, therapists, and substitutes to implement homebound instruction for students if necessary. The administration will authorize the appropriate people as needed.