Palmerton news for Aug. 26, 2021
Palmerton Area Library
The library will be closed Sept. 4 and Sept. 6 in honor of Labor Day.
Starting Sept. 1, Palmerton Area Library and all libraries in the Lehigh Carbon Library Cooperative will no longer issue fines for overdue materials. Any overdue fines currently on library accounts will be eliminated.
Exceptions: A replacement fee will still be charged for lost or damaged items. Overdue fines will still be charged for interlibrary loan items. These are materials borrowed from libraries outside the Lehigh Carbon Library Cooperative.
Due to increasing COVID-19 case numbers in Carbon County, all in-person programs for children have been postponed until October. At this time, masks are strongly recommended, but not required, in the library. Curbside service is available. Please call 610-826-3424 for more information.
September is library card sign-up month. Anyone who signs up for a new library card during September will automatically be entered in a prize drawing.
Monthly activities are returning to the Palmerton Area Library beginning in September:
• Knitting Club meets the first Monday of each month from 5:30-7 p.m. Free and open to anyone interested in knitting and crocheting of all skill levels. First meeting is Sept. 13 due to Labor Day.
• Library Board of Directors meets the third Wednesday of each month at 4 p.m. Meetings are open to the public.
• The Sew What Quilt Guild meets at the library on the second Friday of each month at 1:30 p.m. The next meeting is Sept. 10. New members and visitors are always welcome.
• Blue Mountain Fiber Guild includes exploring all things related to fiber arts (spinning, weaving, etc.) No sheep necessary to join. Check it out on the first Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m. The first meeting is Sept. 7.
• Qigong Class for Beginners: Gentle, relaxing exercises that are coordinated to soft music incorporating breathing with smooth, slow, flowing movement. Mondays 11 a.m. to noon. Instructor: Kiki Peppard. For more information, call 570-460-8485. First session is Sept. 13 due to Labor Day.
• Third Monday Book Club meets the third Monday of each month from 12:30-1:30 p.m. and discusses a different book each month. September’s book is “The Face of a Stranger” by Anne Perry. New members are always welcome.
St. John’s yard sale
St. John’s United Church of Christ, 891 Columbia Ave., Palmerton, will hold a yard sale Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. The kitchen will be open.
Cub Scout Pack 209
Last chance at summer! Join Cub Scout Pack 209 on Saturday at 9 a.m. at Hickory Run State Park for the final hike of the summer. All registered Scouts old and new are welcome to come. Please let your den leader know if you intend to join the group.
Don’t forget Becky’s Drive-in Campout on Sept. 10. Gates open at 5 p.m., movies start at 8 p.m. Anyone who wishes to attend must be registered before Sept. 10 so space can be allocated. Please respond to your den leader.
Palmerton Borough’s yard waste area has reopened. It will be open seven days a week with no limitations on the hours. The materials must come from a Palmerton Borough property. They accept branches, limbs and small trees (must be half-inch to 9 inches in diameter); lawn and hedge clippings, including grass and leaves (must be placed in designated area). They will not accept contractor disposal, milled lumber, rock/dirt, vine clippings, landscape or railroad ties, brick, block, or any manufactured board or product.
The area is under camera surveillance, and additional security measures will be taken so that anyone disposing against these regulations will be dealt with under Palmerton and Pennsylvania littering laws.
Living Hope Lighthouse Church
Living Hope Lighthouse Church, 705 Third St., Palmerton, will hold Sunday worship at 10 a.m. A sign-up sheet is displayed on the bulletin board in the LHL hallway to help out at the Palmerton Festival.
They invite you to stop by the Community Prayer Garden any time you need a peaceful time of prayer. They will include you in their prayers; slip a prayer request in the Prayer Garden mailbox during your visit.
A reminder the CACPAC sponsored Food Pantry will be held Friday at St. John’s Lutheran Church, Fireline Road, from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
If there is anyone in the community looking to volunteer the weekend of the Palmerton Festival (Sept. 10, 11, 12) please message the festival Facebook page. They have many organizations that are short on volunteers and could use your help to make the weekend a success.