Log In

Reset Password

On this date: July 22, 1979

Another fire took its toll in Mahanoy City today as a blaze destroyed a second-floor apartment and extensively damaged three business firms.

The fire broke out in the second-floor apartment over the United Supply Hardware Store, 19 E. Center St., leaving the Frank Erbe family homeless.

Also extensively damaged were two adjacent businesses, the Morris Drug Store at 15 E. Center St. and Maff’s Men’s Store at 21 E. Center St.

It took firefighters from Mahanoy City, Shenandoah, Ryan Township and Delano more than two hours to bring the blaze under control. About 25 firefighters received either smoke inhalation or minor lacerations while battling the blaze.