ArtsQuest hosts family-friendly movie night series
ArtsQuest is now hosting a series of family-friendly movies, including sensory-friendly and Spanish-language screenings, for free all summer outside at the Levitt Pavilion and in the Frank Banko Alehouse Cinemas of the ArtsQuest Center at SteelStacks.
Presented by UGI, guests can enjoy select Disney, DreamWorks and Warner Bros. movies.
Free parking is available at the parking lots on First Street adjacent to SteelStacks, and food and beverage will be available at the Mack Truck Stop at the Levitt Pavilion.
All guests must reserve a free ticket in advance; one ticket is good for up to four guests.
Sensory-friendly shows start at 1:30 p.m. on scheduled Wednesdays in the Red Cinema of the Frank Banko Alehouse Cinemas (capacity of 45 people). All other movies start at 7:30 p.m. under the stars at the base of the iconic blast furnaces.
There will also be special viewings on some Tuesdays to watch movies-including COCO, Finding Nemo, The Emperor’s New Groove and Moana-in Spanish. All English films will have Spanish subtitles, and all Spanish films will have English subtitles.
The Sensory-Friendly Kids Film Series provides a welcoming environment and afternoon of entertainment for families and individuals who have special needs.
The series is specifically designed for those living with Autism Spectrum Disorder, allowing everyone to experience the joy of seeing their favorite movies on the big screen. As part of the film screenings, talking and walking are permitted, while stimming (self-regulation behavior) is encouraged. The theater’s house lights are dimmed but remain on, while the film volume is lowered and previews are eliminated, all to provide a comfortable viewing experience for attendees.
Additionally, families with special dietary needs can bring food from home.
All screenings will follow CDC, state, and local health guidelines, including limited capacities, proper sanitation, and mask wearing - covering both the nose and the mouth - mandatory whenever a patron is outside of their designated lawn square or seat.
Reservations for lawn squares and cinema seats will be made available on the Thursday before each screening. Lawn squares can fit up to four people per square.
The current list of movies being shown are:
• (Spanish) May 4, 7:30 p.m.
• (English) May 5, 7:30 p.m., Sensory-friendly 1:30 p.m.
Trolls World Tour (2020)
• (English) May 19, 7:30 p.m., Sensory-friendly 1:30 p.m.
Mary Poppins Returns (2018)
• (English) Wednesday, May 26, 7:30 p.m., Sensory-friendly 1:30 p.m.
Finding Nemo (2003)
• (Spanish) June 1, 7:30 p.m.
• (English) June 2, 7:30 p.m., Sensory-friendly 1:30 p.m.
Lego Movie (2014)
• (English) June 30, 7:30 p.m., Sensory-friendly 1:30 p.m.
The Emperor’s New Groove
• (Spanish) July 6, 7:30 p.m.
• (English) July 7, 7:30 p.m., Sensory-friendly 1:30 p.m.
• (English) July 14, 7:30 p.m., Sensory-friendly 1:30 p.m.
• (English) Wednesday, July 21, 7:30 p.m., Sensory-friendly 1:30 p.m.
How to Train Your Dragon
• (English) July 28, 7:30 p.m., Sensory-friendly 1:30 p.m.