Tamaqua police issue citations
Tamaqua police released information on several citations recently issued by officers.
• Gemile Mehmeti, 30, of 645 E. Patterson St., Lansford, was cited for possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia and providing false identification to law enforcement.
Mehmeti was found slumped over the steering wheel of a pick up truck on Cedar Street at 6:33 p.m. on Feb. 25. A capped syringe was in plain view on the seat between her legs. She provided her name and a false date of birth (her sister’s), but officers were able to discover an active arrest warrant issued by Carbon County officials.
Officers searched the truck and Mehmeti’s bag, collecting wax paper bags with a white powder residue, 30 additional bags containing suspected heroin and 15 blue pills stamped C1.
She was transported to the Carbon County Prison in Nesquehoning to answer to the warrant.
• Angelo Maldonato, 28, of 121 Pitt St., Tamaqua, was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and driving with a suspended license after a traffic stop on March 13. Maldonato had two syringes in the pocket of his hood jacket, which he claimed were his girlfriend’s due to her diabetes. Inside the vehicle, a Nissan Maxima, officers found a clear glass pipe, two more syringes and a blue container with marijuana residue.
• Joseph Chamoun, 61, of 108 Walnut St., Tuscarora, was cited for harassment on March 10 after a verbal disagreement with a tenant at a property he owns in Tamaqua. At one point, Chamoun smacked the victim’s hand, an action that two witnesses confirmed.
• Justin King, 28, of 57 W. Moser Ave., Coaldale, was cited for providing false information on a firearm ownership application and then swearing the form was true and correct.
King attempted to purchase a Smith and Wesson .380 caliber pistol at Ed’s Sports Shop on Nov. 24, 2017. He checked no in the boxes related to illegal drugs. King is under indictment for driving under the influence of a controlled substance, set to go to trial later this year.
• Eileen Heimbach, 32, of 612 Arlington St., Tamaqua, was cited for persistent disorderly conduct after police were called to her home four times in one night for loud screaming and yelling coming from the home. The incident happened on Feb. 25.