Tamaqua museum hosting art exhibit at grand opening
The Tamaqua Historical Society will host the grand opening of its newly remodeled Tamaqua Museum Annex and Gallery this Saturday. The event will include an exhibit of the work of renowned Tamaqua artist J.G. Scott.
Scott started life as the son of a coal miner in Buck Mountain in 1887. His initial life plans were to follow in his father’s footsteps, working in the mines and creating inventions. A hunting accident as a teenager squashed those plans, leaving him with a disabled left arm, unable to perform the heavy manual labor needed to work in the mines.
He turned to art, studying at the Philadelphia Museum School on his way to becoming a commercial artist. The bulk of his craft was created for the Gibson Greeting Card Company, but he also designed magazine covers and calendars. For Gibson, he created more than 2,500 Valentine’s Day cards. His distinctive work featured rosy cheeked, cherubic children and cute animals for every occasion.
While his commercial work was a success, Scott decided to branch out into other endeavors. He served in the Pennsylvania General Assembly from 1925 through 1934 and as superintendent of the former Coaldale State General Hospital from 1939 to 1956. During this time, he also dabbled in portraits and landscapes, paintings he never sold.
Scott died in 1975 at his home in Tamaqua, but his artwork lives on, highly sought after by collectors.
The Tamaqua exhibit will feature hundreds of Scott’s creations, including several large paintings on loan to the historical society. Many of Scott’s descendants will be in attendance for what is being billed as a type of “homecoming.”
The grand opening and exhibit will be held from 5 to 9 p.m., Nov. 11, at 118 W. Broad St., Tamaqua.
Refreshments will be served and the public is welcome to attend.