Log In

Reset Password

Apartment damaged in fire in Nesquehoning

One apartment was damaged following a fire Friday night in Nesquehoning.

The fire in the apartment inside the County Housing Authority, located at 121 W. High St., was called in at 11:54 p.m.

Crews from the three Nesquehoning fire departments, as well as Jim Thorpe and the Panther Valley RIT team, responded and were able to contain the fire to one unit. Nesquehoning police and ambulance also assisted at the scene.

Nesquehoning Hose Company fire Chief John McArdle said that he was happy to report all occupants evacuated the building and were safe.

“We have been having problems with automatic fire alarms throughout the borough,” he said. “Residents in buildings such as this are not turning out when the fire department responds to automatic alarms.”

Crews remained on scene following the fire to ventilate the building for the residents.

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental and no injuries were reported, McArdle said.

McArdle noted that earlier that day, the housing authority finished installing the new Knox Box system, a program the borough opted into earlier this year for commercial and residential properties that allows the fire companies to access a box with a key to the building during an emergency using a tone command through the communications center.

“By having the Knox Box system in place, the fire department was able to access all the apartments and ventilate the building,” he said.

Nesquehoning police also extinguished a dwelling fire Monday evening.

McArdle said the fire at 14 Holland St. occurred at 7:49 p.m.

He said that police, who were first on the scene, were able to extinguish the fire before firefighters arrived.

No injuries were reported and the fire was ruled accidental and contained to the kitchen area.

Nesquehoning, New Columbus and Hauto responded assisted by Jim Thorpe, Summit Hill and Lansford fire departments and the Nesquehoning Ambulance Corp.

The kitchen area of an apartment caught fire on Friday night in Nesquehoning. The fire was contained to only one unit in the apartment building. PHOTO COURTESY NESQUEHONING HOSE COMPANY