Nesquehoning prepares for parade
Nesquehoning officials are preparing for traffic detours and road closures when the Carbon County Veterans Day parade marches down Catawissa Street on Nov. 5.
Borough council announced the changes to traffic patterns at its committees workshop meeting on Wednesday.
The parade kicks off at 2 p.m. on Nov. 5 from the Nesquehoning Recreation Center on West Railroad Street. It will travel one block north to the Route 54-209 intersection where it will turn and begin its parade route down Catawissa Street.
Officials said there will be no parking ahead of the parade at the following streets:
• Allen Street from Railroad to High Street, the parking area on the Red Road and from Coal to Willow Lane
• All of Willow Lane
• West Mill Street from Allen to the Ford sales lot
• Both sides of Mermon Avenue between Center and Catawissa Street
• The north side of East Railroad Street from School Street to Pine Street
• The north side of Center Street from Pine to Catawissa Street
• Both sides of East Center Street from Oak to Pine streets
• Oak Street between Catawissa and Center streets
• The south side of East Center Street from Oak to Hazard Street
• The north side from the VFW to Oak Street
Officials said that message boards alerting traffic of the new patterns will be set up along Route 209 at Macaluso’s Restaurant, on Route 93 above the truck pull off, on Route 54 at KME and at Mermon Avenue between Rhume Street and Willow Lane.
In addition, traffic control points have been set up along the parade route to help motorists traveling through the borough.
Detours have also been set for during the parade. They include:
• Northbound traffic will be rerouted off Route 209 North and onto West Railroad Street. Local traffic will be directed to Allen Street to connect to borough streets. Motorists wishing to connect to Route 209 will continue on Railroad Street, where traffic will flow east on Railroad Street to Pine Street then to East Center Street and then back to Catawissa Street.
• Southbound traffic will be rerouted off Route 209 South onto East Center Street to Pine Street then East Railroad Street. Traffic will continue on Railroad until it connects to Route 209. Local traffic will be directed to Allen Street to connect to borough streets.
• Route 54 West will be rerouted onto West Mill Street slightly before the 209 intersection. Traffic will then flow west onto Allen Street. Motorists wishing to go to Route 209 will merge onto Railroad Street. Local traffic will travel Allen Street north or south to connect to local streets in the borough.
Borough officials also want to remind businesses along the parade route that business may be affected while the parade is moving through town.