Skip to main content

Lansford police charge NJ man

  • Hewitt
Published September 23. 2013 05:00PM

Lansford police are looking for a New Jersey man accused of harassing his former girlfriend.

Mark Hewitt, 42, of Egg Harbor Township, faces charges from an incident which allegedly took place between June 10 and Sept. 6. Hewitt is charged with three counts of harassment via communication. A warrant has been issued for his arrest. Anyone with information is asked to contact police at (570) 645-5844. All calls will be kept confidential.

According to an affidavit of probable cause, here's what happened:

At 11:19 a.m. Sept. 6, Officer Christopher Ondrus received a call to speak with a borough woman concerning ongoing harassment by Hewitt.

She had received a voice mail message, "Are you ready? I am," from Hewitt prior to contacting police. The message was the latest in a volley of similar messages from Hewitt since June 10.

The harassment began after she had filed a request for a protection from abuse order against Hewitt. Ondrus had spoken with Hewitt on June 30, and told him about the PFA, and that he was to have no contact with the woman. Hewitt had assured Ondrus he would not contact her nor would he return to her house.

But Hewitt failed to keep his word.

Hewitt was served with the PFA order, and signed it, at 12:35 p.m. June 29 in Brigantine, New Jersey, by Atlantic County Sheriff's Department. The order states he is to have no contact with the woman, by telephone or any other means.

Hewitt continued to contact her, and borough police became involved, filing an indirect criminal contempt form on Aug. 30. Over the course of the last three months, Hewitt contacted the woman through various phone numbers, and at all hours of the day and night.

Ondrus listened to the messages she had saved, and heard Hewitt addressing her by name and referring to himself by name. The woman documented the calls and messages, and provided a list to police.

At 2:38 a.m,/. Sept. 6, Ondrus spoke with Hewitt by phone. When Ondrus said his name, Hewitt claimed he had the wrong number, and hung up. Ondrus called again, recognized Hewitt's voice, and Hewitt spoke with him. Hewitt denied sending the messages and making the calls. He said all of the calls and messages were made or sent prior to the PFA order.

Hewitt told Ondrus that the woman was "doing this to get him in trouble."

Ondrus again told Hewitt to stop contacting the woman, or he would face more charges.

Hewitt wished Ondrus a good day, and the conversation was terminated.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


November 2017


Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries