Healthy eating tips
During the seminar, Paluck, provided a number of tips for healthy eating. "Your diet doesn't have to be bland and boring to be healthy," said Paluck. "Just follow these three steps and your whole family can benefit from healthy eating habits."
1. Eat less fat by:
- Eating fewer fatty cuts of meat and more fish.
- Avoiding butter and lard, and using less margarine.
- Avoiding foods containing palm, coconut or hydrogenated oils.
- Eating fewer high-fat dairy products - like cheese, ice cream and whole milk.
- Getting a heart-healthy cookbook and try some low-fat recipes.
2. East less salt by:
- Not adding salt to food when cooking.
- Keep the salt shakers off the table.
- Not using high-salt ingredients, such as MSG, soy sauce, baking soda and baking powder.
- Substituting your salt with herbs and flavorings, such as lemon, garlic and onion.
3. Eat more fiber by:
- Eating fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Adding oats, whole-grain rice and bran to your diet.
- Including beans and un-fried or un-buttered potatoes in your diet.