How sexual crimes affect victims
According to the Victims Resource Center, sexual assault can cause many problems for an individual. These include:
• Disable a person both mentally and physically, temporarily or permanently.
• Cause people to doubt themselves and turn a trusting person into an overly cautious, fearful one.
• Cause lives to be so disrupted that normal relationships with family and friends are greatly strained.
• Cause physical injuries.
• Cause emotional scars.
• Cause a person to feel angry, guilty, ashamed, insecure, afraid and depressed.
• Cause financial problems due to theft, medical bills, lost time at work, loss of future income due to a disability resulting from a crime or damage to property that is not insured.