Skip to main content

Man who allegedly threatened officer waives hearing

Published July 12. 2012 05:01PM

A Lehighton man who allegedly threatened to kill a borough police officer and spat all over the inside of a police cruiser waived a preliminary hearing scheduled for yesterday and had all charges forwarded to Carbon County Court.

Todd Allen George, 35, of 470 N. Second St., Lehighton, faces charges of terroristic threats, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct/obscene language, and public drunkenness.

This was the third time a hearing was scheduled for George.

The hearing was scheduled before District Judge Edward Lewis of Jim Thorpe. The previous two scheduled hearings were ended when George rejected the efforts of Attorney Joseph Perelli to be his court-appointed attorney.

For yesterday's proceedings, George was represented by Attorney George Dydynski. The bail of George was also reduced providing the defendant meets specified conditions while on bail.

The charges stem from an incident on March 16, at about 10:11 p.m.

The affidavit states that on that date, Officer Matt Bender of the Lehighton Police Department was on patrol, driving down North First Street, when he saw two people yelling and pointing at three others as the three walked away.

As he slowed and watched, the two began following the three down onto South First Street, walking faster so as to catch up with them.

When the three people walked into Alfie's Pizza Shop, the two spotted Bender watching. He rolled down his window and told them they needed to go home.The affidavit said one of the two was George, who started swearing at Bender and threatened to kill him if he didn't leave.

At that point, Bender says in the affidavit, he could tell the man was drunk. The person with George told Bender he had just met George at a bar and didn't know who he was. George had a strong smell of alcohol about him, Bender noticed.

Bender got out of his cruiser. George again threatened to kill the officer if he didn't let him go. George claimed to "own the town and the capitol," and said that Bender would be "killed by morning."

Bender told George to stop swearing, but he allegedly continued spouting profanities and threatening to kill the officer.

Bender arrested him, and George again threatened to kill him. As Bender placed handcuffs on George, George twice pulled away, forcing Bender to exert substantial force to overcome George's resistance.

As Bender placed George into the cruiser, he continued to swear and threaten to kill Bender. He spat all over the cruiser. Once at the police station, George saw another officer, and threatened to kill him, too, calling him by name.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2019


Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed