Ron Walbert renamed Lower Tow. chairman
TERRY AHNER/TIMES NEWS Members who will form the Lower Towamensing Township Board of Supervisors this year include, from left, Ron Walbert, chairman; Brent Green; and Jesse Mendez, vice chairman.
An incumbent maintained his post as chairman, while a new supervisor was seated on the Lower Towamensing Township Board of Supervisors.
The township's board of supervisors unanimously agreed to reappoint Ron Walbert as chairman at its reorganizational meeting on Tuesday.
Supervisor Jesse Mendez was unanimously appointed vice chairman, while new Supervisor Brent Green took his place on the board.
Also as part of its reorganizational meeting, supervisors:
• Appointed Christine Wentz as township secretary/treasurer at a salary of $36,771, per the approved 2012 budget. As part of her benefits, Wentz will receive 10 days paid vacation, 12 paid holidays, a pension, and no paid lunch.
• Appointed Jillyan Sterling as part-time assistant secretary.
• Appointed attorney Jim Nanovic as solicitor.
• Appointed Duane Dellecker as zoning officer.
• Appointed Carbon Engineering as the engineering firm.
• Appointed Ron Tirpak/Carbon Engineering as engineering firm for Act 537.
• Appointed Barry Wentz Sr. as chairman of the vacancy board.
• Appointed Rory Koons as civil defense and emergency management.
• Appointed Spotts, Stevens & McCoy as sewage enforcement officer and well enforcement officer.
• Appointed Holly Heintzelman as zoning hearing board solicitor.
• Appointed James Ord, Keith George and James DeRosa to the zoning hearing board.
• Appointed Angela Farrell and Peter Terp to six-year terms, Janice Mack to a two-year term, and Jay Mullikin and James Sheckler to one-year terms on the planning commission.
• Appointed Charles Shupp as township road foreman. Shupp will be responsible to call out part-time and casual employees as needed at his discretion. The position is part-time with benefits.
• Appointed Kathy Wallace as township road foreman assistant. Wallace will be responsible to call out road crew at her discretion in the absence of the road foreman. The position is part-time with benefits.
• Approved a motion to employ Supervisors Ron Walbert, Jesse Mendez and Brent Green as casual employees to perform work on the roads when necessary and/or needed on a call-out basis at the discretion of the township road foreman.
• Approved a motion to recommend to the township's Board of Auditors the supervisors' pay and benefits for those supervisors hired as township employees. Elected supervisors compensation is fixed at $1,875 per year as per the Second Class Township Code. These amounts are paid on a monthly basis of $156 per month.
• Appointed Shupp, Wallace, Tim George and Robert Balch as part-time employees.
• Appointed Leon Borger, Tim Strohl and Paul Strohl as casual employees.
• Agreed to set the benefits for part-time employees and part-time employed supervisors after employee has worked 1,000 hours or more in the current calendar year at 10 paid vacation days; $100 shoe allowance reimbursement with presentation of receipt; a 30-minute paid lunch; and paid holidays on New Year's Day, Presidents Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and employees' birthday. Part-time employees must work the week of the holiday to receive the holiday pay. All employees will receive a 3-percent increase. These wages were approved with the 2012 budget.
• Agreed to set the benefits for casual employees that after every 100 hours worked, the employee will receive two hours paid vacation; a $100 shoe allowance with presentation of receipt; and a 30-minute paid lunch.
• Agreed to set the treasurer's bond at $1.2 million, to be checked and verified by Nanovic.
• Approved depositories for township funds to First Northern Bank & Trust (formerly First National Bank of Palmerton) and PLIGIT.
• Assigned Signature Authority that states the township secretary/treasurer must sign every obligation and every check. A second and third signature of a designated supervisor shall be required on every check as follows: Ronald Walbert, Jesse Mendez and Brent Green.
• Agreed to continue to hold the township's board of supervisors regular meeting at 7 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at the township municipal building.
• Agreed to hold the township's board of supervisors' reorganizational meeting at 3 p.m. Jan. 7, 2013.
• Agreed to hold the township recreation board's regular monthly meeting at 7 p.m. the first Thursday of each month.
• Agreed to set the mileage rate at 50 cents per mile.
• Agreed to renew the snow removal and police protection agreement with Palmerton Borough.
• Adopted a resolution for the 2012 fee schedule.
• Appointed Michael Donnelly as a township auditor.
Afterward, resident Pete Terp congratulated Green on his election to the board, and gave Walbert a ringing endorsement.
"Congratulations, Brent, for coming aboard. I know you're talented and will do a great job," Terp said. "And I want to thank you two gentlemen (Green and Mendez) for appointing Ron as chairman; he has done an outstanding job."