PV girls win title
NANCY SCHOLZ/Special to THE TIMES NEWS Pleasant Valley's Dana McAllister finished second and the Bears girls were first in the MVC Cross Country championships on Tuesday in Bethehem.
The Pleasant Valley girls' unblemished record is definitely no fluke.
The Lady Bears proved that Tuesday at the Bethlehem Municipal Golf Course, where the Mountain Valley Conference held its annual cross country meet.
Dana McCallister's second place finish led a PV showing that had five of its girls finish in the top 10. That effort easily allowed the Bears to claim the MVC championship.
"The course is tough," said McCallister, who completed the grueling 3.1-mile layout in a time of 21:09.5. "The hills really take a lot out of you that first mile. The second and third miles were pretty flat but it takes a lot of endurance."
Abby Ross of Pocono Mountain East won the individual race with a 20:51.4.
Besides McCallister, PV's Kaitlyn Smith was fourth (21:19.6), Kristen Eberhardt took seventh (21:30.7), Abby Kaspszyk finished eighth (21:44.6) and Stephanie Palmer was ninth (21:49.1).
"Last year (in leagues) we had five of the top 7," said McCallister. "That's really something to say, and everyone really pushes each other to get to the top."
With the District meet also at Bethlehem Municipal next week, McCallister believes the girls have a legitimate chance at gold.
"I feel pretty good," she said. "We're all going to be pushing each other for districts, and have some hard workouts before to get ready."
While the Pleasant Valley boys didn't fare quite as well as its girls team, they did turn in a solid performance.
Alex Larkin turned in a 17:41.5, good enough for third place, to help propel the Bears to a runner-up finish.
Stroudsburg, whose Mark Pfaeffle won the race in 17:23.8, had three of the top four runners, to help gain the team title.
"It's a tough course," Larkin said. "The hills in the beginning are one of the worst parts of the course. After that it is relatively easy. My coach always says I have a kick at the end, and I tried to stay up near the top early."
Larkin's teammate, Tim Landes, also stayed near the top, finishing sixth in a time of 18:28.4. The Bears' Patrick Rimple (19:01.5) was 10th.
"I feel pretty good about our chances (at districts)," added Larkin.
Lehighton, which also participated at the meet, received a fifth-place effort in the girls race from Jenifer Beers. The Indian crossed the finish line in a time of 21:20.3.
MVC Cross Country Results
1. Stroudsburg 28; 2. Pleasant Valley 49; 3. ES South 67; 4. PM East 100; 5. PM West 136; 6. ES North 145; 7. Lehighton.
(Top five finishers)
1. Mark Pfaeffle (Stroudsburg) 17:23.8; 2. Matt Koch (Stroudsburg) 17:37.6; 3. Alex Larkin (Pleasant Vy.) 17:41.5; 4. Michael Stuart (Stroudsburg) 18:01.6; 5. Nick Ruiz (ES South) 18:16.7.
6. Tim Landes (Pleasant Vy.) 18:28.4; 10. Patrick Rimple (Pleasant Vy.) 19:01.5; 11. Nick Donatelli (Pleasant Vy.) 19:02.6; 19. Mason Buskirk (Pleasant Vy.) 19:29.6; 24. Daulton Radler (Lehighton) 19:39.6; 33. Shane Peechatka (Pleasant Vy.) 20:04.0; 34. Zach Williamson (Pleasant Vy.) 20:04.7; 36. Will Anderson (Pleasant Vy.) 20:07.4; 39. Michael Sucic (Pleasant Vy.) 20:17.0; 40. Zack Nagy (Pleasant Vy.) 20:21.0; 42. Jacob Borger (Pleasant Vy.) 20:25.9; 45. Jacob Percey (Pleasant Vy.) 20:46.1; 46. Greg Wierzbicki (Pleasant Vy.) 20:57.9; 47. Kelly Shillings (Pleasant Vy.) 20:58.4; 48. David Magyar (Lehighton) 21:14.5; 49. Chris Johnson (Pleasant Vy.) 21:14.9; 51. Bobby Kitchen (Pleasant Vy.) 21:24.4; 52. Pat Jurczyk (Pleasant Vy.) 21:31.8; 53. Thomas Stone (Pleasant Vy.) 21:37.2; 56. Austin Baker (Pleasant Vy.) 21:41.7; 57. Chris Bosco (Lehighton) 21:46.0; 58. Mike Hughart (Pleasant Vy.) 21:51.0; 59. Nick Chiumento (Pleasant Vy.) 21:55.1; 60. Tyler Young (Pleasant Vy.) 22:01.4; 62. Camilo Capurro (Pleasant Vy.) 22:16.8; 64. Austin Herman (Pleasant Vy.) 22:35.3; 65. Chris Curtis (Pleasant Vy.) 23:05.9; 71. Davis Reiss (Pleasant Vy.) 24:55.0; 72. Zach Brown (Pleasant Vy.) 25:38.8; 73. Ryan Klapatch (Pleasant Vy.) 25:39.0; 75. Josh Gornick (Lehighton) 25:57.5.
1. Pleasant Valley 30; 2. Stroudsburg 55; 3. PM East 63; 4. PM West 99; 5. Lehighton 121; 6. ES South 169; 7. ES North.
(Top five finishers)
1. Abby Ross (PM East) 20:51.4; 2. Dana McAllister (Pleasant Vy.) 21:09.5; 3. Kirsten Henning (Stroudsburg) 21:13.0; 4. Kaitlyn Smith (Pleasant Vy.) 21:19.6; 5. Jenifer Beers (Lehighton) 21:20.3.
7. Kristen Eberhardt (Pleasant Vy.) 21:30.7; 8. Abby Kaspszyk (Pleasant Vy.) 21:44.6; 9. Stephanie Palmer (Pleasant Vy.) 21:49.1; 22. Emily Oldt (Lehighton) 23:28.1; 23. Erin Driscoll (Pleasant Vy.) 23:30.1; 26. Samantha Young (Pleasant Vy.) 23:34.3; 27. Stacy Wojy (Pleasant Vy.) 23:41.0; 32. Katelyn Slack (Pleasant Vy.) 24:16.1; 33. Ashley Marchio (Pleasant Vy.) 24:19.2; 34. Cassie Rehnert (Lehighton); 39. Melissa Vargas (Pleasant Vy.) 25:05.7; 40. Cheyenne Barnes (Pleasant Vy.) 25:08.1; 45. Samantha Boyd (Pleasant Vy.) 26:42.0; 46. Alyssa Schleicher (Lehighton) 26:48.5; 48. Erica Koutch (Lehighton) 27:37.2; 52. Oksana Picca (Pleasant Vy.) 31:20.7.