Lower Towamensing Twp. board restructures
TERRY AHNER/TIMES NEWS Lower Towamensing Township's board of supervisors held their reorganizational meeting on Monday. Supervisors include (l-r) Ron Walbert, chairman, Glen Hahn, vice chairman, and Jesse Mendez.
Lower Towamensing Township has restructured despite the absence of a newly-elected supervisor.
The township's board of supervisors held their reorganizational meeting on Monday with supervisors Ron Walbert and Glen Hahn present.
However, not present was Supervisor Jesse Mendez, a former township official who won a seat during the November election.
The absence of Mendez didn't go unnoticed by resident Richard Leiby, who questioned supervisors about his whereabouts.
"Why isn't he here," Leiby said. "He should have never been elected."
Township solicitor Jim Nanovic explained to Leiby that Mendez, much like Walbert and Hahn before him, was elected to serve by the public.
That prompted resident Herman Bollinger to chime in on the conversation.
"You guys are voted in," Bollinger said. "But, you guys are forgetting you are working for the taxpayers."
A former township supervisor, Mendez didn't arrive until after the board held its regularly scheduled meeting, which followed the reorganizational meeting.
Upon observation, Mendez appeared to be confused over the start time of the reorganizational meeting.
As part of the process, Walbert was reappointed board chairman, while Hahn was reappointed vice chairman.
Also as part of its reorganizational meeting, supervisors:
- Reappointed Christine Wentz as secretary/treasurer at a salary of $35,000 for the year 2010. As part of her benefits, Wentz will receive 10 days paid vacation, 12 paid holidays, pension, and no paid lunch time.
- Reappointed Jillyan Sterling as part-time assistant secretary.
- Reappointed Nanovic as solicitor.
- Reappointed Duane Dellecker as zoning officer.
- Reappointed Carbon Engineering as the engineering firm.
- Appointed Barry Wentz Sr. as chairman of the vacancy board.
- Appointed Walbert as state convention voting delegate.
- Reappointed Rory Koons as civil defense and emergency management.
- Reappointed Spotts, Stevens & McCoy as sewage enforcement officer and well enforcement officer.
- Made a recommendation to reappoint Holly Heintzelman as zoning hearing board solicitor.
- Reappointed James Ord, Keith George and James DeRosa to the zoning hearing board.
- Reappointed Janice Mack to a four-year term, James Sheckler and Doyle Heffley to three-year terms, and Angela Farrel and Peter Terp to two-year terms.
- Appointed Charles Shupp as township road master. Shupp will be responsible to call out part time and casual employees as needed at his discretion.
- Approved a motion to recommend to the township's Board of Auditors the supervisors pay and benefits for those supervisors hired as township employees at a rate of $18.75 an hour; 10 days paid vacation, 12 paid holidays, and a shoe allowance of $100 with receipt.
- Appointed Kathy Wallace, Shupp, and Costenbader as part-time employees.
- Appointed Leon Borger and Lee Mertz as casual employees.
- Agreed to set the benefits for part-time employees and part-time employed supervisors after employee has worked 1,000 hours or more in the current calendar year at 10 paid vacation days; $100 shoe allowance reimbursement with presentation of receipt; a 30-minute paid lunch; and paid holidays on New Year's Day, Presidents Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and employees' birthday.
- Agreed to set the benefits for casual employees that after every 100 hours worked, the employee will receive two hours paid vacation; a $100 shoe allowance with presentation of receipt; and a 30-minute paid lunch.
- Set the treasure's bond at $750,000, or 100-percent of all funds.
- Approved depositories for township funds to First National Bank of Palmerton and PLIGHT.
- Assigned Signature Authority that states the township secretary/treasurer must sign every obligation and every check. A second and third signature of a designated supervisor shall be required on every check as follows: Ronald Walbert, Jesse Mendez and Glen R. Hahn.
- Agreed to set the mileage rate at .50 cents per mile.
- Agreed to set the expense allowance for State Convention, which includes, mileage, room and registration expenses, to be paid by the township. Other allowances will be $50 per day for four days. Those who attend will be compensated at his/her regular hourly wage for four days attendance at the convention.
- Renewed the snow removal and police protection agreement with Palmerton Borough.
- Adopted a resolution for the 2010 fee schedule.
- Agreed to continue to hold the township's board of supervisors regular meeting at 7 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at the township municipal building.
- Agreed to continue to hold the township recreation committee's regular meeting at 7 p.m. the fourth Wednesday of each month.