Towamensing Twp. officials want dry hydrant installed
A request to install a dry hydrant near the Pine Run area of Beltzville State Park was discussed as the Towamensing Township supervisors held their end-of-year meeting on Dec. 27.
Richard Bachert of the Towamensing Fire Company talked to supervisor Tom Newman about the matter and Fire chief Wayne Knirnschild reportedly agreed to the request.
The park manager said he would have to clear it with the Army Corps of Engineers, so Newman went and talked to the Army Corps directly.
Resident Guy Seifert said Glenn Beers had offered the Olde Homestead pond as a location for a dry hydrant but it never went beyond the offer.
Supervisors want to hold a meeting with the fire company to discuss exactly what insurance coverage the company has.
Newman said a property maintenance ordinance will be on the agenda next year.
Also during the session, the supervisors adopted the new budget. The spending plan includes a general budget of $1,051,550 with $240,387 in liquid fuel road money; $344,700 in garbage account; and $54,991 in the recreation account.
Tax levies approved include a two-mill real estate tax, one-half of 1 percent earned income tax, $10 occupational privilege tax, $10 local services tax and $5 per capita tax.
In other business:
• Joe Faraldo, an alternate on the zoning hearing board, sent a letter of resignation. It is hoped a replacement will be found by the Jan. 3 reorganization meeting.
• A letter from the Jim Thorpe National Bank gave conditional approval for a loan. The condition is that the Redevelopment Assistance Capital Grant application meet a Friday deadline.
Supervisor Tom Newman asked what the payments on the loan will be but that is not known until they talk to the bank in person.
• An executive session was held to discuss personnel. In the absence of Supervisor Rodney George, no information was given because he was to be included in the decision.
• Zoning hours for January are 3, 10, 17, 24 and 31, 5 to 7 p.m. or by appointment through the township at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-681-4202 (ext. 11.
• The reorganization meeting will be held Jan. 3, 5 p.m., to be followed immediately by the regular meeting. The Thursday meeting is cancelled.