Studios tend to release some of their best films in November and December.
Here's what to expect this season:
• Nov. 6 - "Disney's A Christmas Carole" starring Jim Carrey, Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Bob Hoskins, Robin Wright Penn, Cary Elwes. Jim Carrey plays four separate roles in this updated version of A Christmas Carol. Carrey portrays Scrooge, as well as the three ghosts.
• Nov. 6 - "The Men Who Stare At Goats" starring George Clooney, Jeff Bridges, Ewan McGregor. Struggling reporter Bob Wilton (Ewan McGregor) gets the scoop of a lifetime when he meets Lyn Cassady (George Clooney), who claims to be from a unit of psychic soldiers who have been reactivated for duty.
• Nov. 20 - "The Blind Side" starring Sandra Bullock, Tim McGraw, Kathy Bates. A homeless black teenager from a broken home, Michael Oher (Quinton Aaron) has drifted in and out of the school system for years. When Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock) and her husband Sean (Tim McGraw) take him in, not only is Michael's life transformed, but theirs are as well.
• Nov. 20 - "Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans" starring Nicolas Cage, Eva Mendes, Val Kilmer. A substance-abusing cop (Nicolas Cage) is locked in a downward spiral as he probes the drug-related murders of five illegal immigrants from Senegal.
• Nov. 25 - "Old Dogs" starring John Travolta, Robin Williams, Kelly Preston, Seth Green, Ella Bleu Travolta. Two best friends have their lives turned upside down when they're unexpectedly charged with the care of six-year-old twins while on the verge of the biggest business deal of their lives.
• Nov. 25 - "Fantastic Mr. Fox" starring George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray. Mr. and Mrs. Fox live an idyllic home life with their son Ash and visiting young nephew Kristopherson. But after 12 years, the bucolic existence proves too much for Mr Fox's wild animal instincts.
• Nov. 25 - "The Princes and the Frog" with thevices of Anika Noni Rose, John Goodman, David Keith, Jim Cummings, Jenifer Lewis. Walt Disney Animation Studios presents a musical set in New Orleans. "The Princess and the Frog" marks Disney's return to the warmth and grandeur of hand drawn animation. Nov. 27 - "Brooklyn's Finest" starring Richard Gere, Don Cheadle, Ethan Hawke, Wesley Snipes, Ellen Barkin. Three cops fall victim to the lure of easy money.
• Dec. 25 - "Sherlock Holmes" starring Robert Downey, Jr., Jude Law, Rachel McAdams, Mark Strong, Eddie Marsan. In a portrayal of Arthur Conan Doyle's most famous characters, Sherlock Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson embark on their latest challenge.
• "Alvin & The Chipmunks, The Squeakquel" starring Justin Long, Matthew Gray Gubler, Jesse McCartney. Now in the care of Dave Seville's nephew, Alvin, Simon and Theodore take a break from pop-music stardom and return to school.
• Dec. 25 - "Up In The Air" starring George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, Anna Kendrick, Jason Bateman.. A corporate downsizing expert whose cherished life on the road is threatened just as he is on the cusp of reaching ten million frequent flyer miles and just after he's met the frequent-traveler woman of his dreams.
• Dec. 25 - "It's Complicated" starring Meryl Streep, Steve Martin, Alec Baldwin. A complicated love story.