Skip to main content

S. Hill woman thankful neighbors got involved

Published December 01. 2009 05:00PM

It's not known what relationship Brenda Krynock of Summit Hill had with her neighbors in the past. But she developed some incredible respect for them on Sunday.

An area of her back porch caught fire early Sunday evening. She and her husband, John, were in Hazleton having dinner at the time.

Thanks to neighbors, the fire was discovered and quickly extinguished.

"If not for all the help we got, I don't think we would have had a home to come home to," she said.

The fire was at the rear of the residence.

Brenda said the fire was first spotted by Tom and Gene Turner of Summit Hill, who happened to be walking down an alley.

The brothers, both adults, ran into the yard. One grabbed a can of ashes and hurled it onto the fire to quell the flames. The other began removing items, some already damaged by fire, from the porch.

"They actually got the fire out," she said.

Meanwhile, said Brenda, nearby resident Dennis Gombert pulled a garden hose over three fences to reach the back porch. Then a neighbor from the opposite side of the house, John Horvath, began using his garden hose to water down the area.

The Summit Hill Fire Department was dispatched after a call by neighbor Robert Henninger, and despite a quick response, the flames were extinguished by the time apparatus arrived on the scene. Also dispatched were the Lansford and Coaldale fire departments.

Despite the damage to their house, Brenda said, "We were just so happy when we came home," referring to the fact that the house was still standing. She added that the damage would likely have been very serious had the neighbors not gotten involved.

Brenda said she believes the fire was started by an extension cord.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries