A circuit breaker caught fire, causing a public housing apartment complex in Slatington to be evacuated yesterday morning.

The incident occurred around 10 a.m. Wednesday when a hot water heater malfunctioned and short circuited, which caused a circuit breaker to catch fire in one apartment in the west wing of the fifth floor inside the George L. Dilliard Manor at 425 Kuntz St.

Slatington Fire Chief Keith Weaver said 18 units were evacuated for about an hour. No injuries were reported, Weaver said.

Jason Nicholas, deputy chief, said the Lehigh County Maintenance Staff took care of the electrical issue.

Also assisting at the scene were the Walnutport Fire Department, Emerald Fire Department, Palmerton Fire Department, and Northern Valley EMS.

The complex consists of 75-unit one-bedroom apartments for persons 62 years and over, as well as for the physically challenged, according to the Lehigh County Housing Authority web page.