Northwestern's boys and girls soccer teams, along with its boys and girls cross country teams, all got victories in local scholastic sports action on Tuesday.
No. Dame GP-No. Lehigh
Notre Dame GP picked up a 2-0 win over Northern Lehigh in Colonial League action.
Zach Hogan and Pat Edward scored both Crusaders' goals in the first half.
Nate Rex made four saves for the Bulldogs.
Northwestern built an early lead and pulled away late to down Palisades 8-2 in Colonial League play.
Sarah Segan scored two first half goals for the Lady Tigers, who built a 4-1 lead by halftime. Angela Motolese scored two second half goals in the victory.
Salisbury used a strong second half to defeat Palmerton 7-0 in Colonial League play.
The Falcons scored six goals after the intermission to pull away from the Bombers.
Rich Roselli made 16 saves for Palmerton.
PM West jumped on Tamaqua early en route to a 7-1 non-league win.
Ivan Rapolo had a hat trick in the first half, as the Panthers (2-5, 0-4 MVC) jumped out to a 6-0 lead before the intermission.
Roberto Borrero scored the Blue Raiders' (2-5) only goal in the second half.
Pleasant Vy.-PM West
Pleasant Valley made it look easy against PM West, claiming a decisive 7-0 win in Mountain Valley Conference play.
The Lady Bears dropped only six games in their seven matches, winning all in straight sets.
The win moves Pleasant Valley to 9-4 overall and 3-3 in the MVC.
Pleasant Vy. 7, PM West 0
Madison Olexson (PV) def. Annette Schroter 6-2, 6-0; Emily Thek (PV) def. Lashawna Griffith 6-0, 6-0; Mackie Caffrey (PV) def. Mariah Hinds 6-0, 6-0.
Mackie Caffrey/Ashley Coleman (PV) def. Maeve Corrigan/Lashawna Griffith 8-1; Sarina Tufano/Paola Mieles (PV) def. Gabbrielle Vargas/Rebecca Salgueir 6-1, 6-2; Andrea Nale/Emily Borger (PV) def. Jolanta Dzimira/Grace Fruauff 6-0, 6-0; Monica Jarog/Amanda Hoag (PV) def. Brianna Pugh/Vania Mason 6-0, 6-0.
Jim Thorpe used strong performances in singles play to earn a 4-3 non-league win over Kutztown.
Bryanna Kehrli, Haley Cope, Minka Pheiffer and Maria Donati picked up singles victories for the Lady Olympians.
With the win, Jim Thorpe moves to 6-6 on the season.
Jim Thorpe 4, Kutztown 3
Sakura Fussner (K) def. Gabbie Binder 6-2, 6-1; Bryanna Kehrli (JT) def. Gabby Legsden 6-2, 6-1; Haley Cope (JT) def. Jamie Siefert 6-3, 6-1; Minka Pheiffer (JT) def. Amanda Miller 6-3, 6-1; Maria Donati (JT) forfeit.
Sakura Fussner/Gabby Legsden (K) def. Maria Donati/Hope Damian 10-3; Jamie Siefert/Amanda Miller (K) def. Lauren Hill/Marne Quevado 10-0.
No. Lehigh-No. Dame GP
Notre Dame GP defeated Northern Lehigh 4-1 in Colonial League action.
No other information was available.
The Lady Tigers scored four goals in each half and beat the Pirates 8-2 in Colonial League play.
Sarah Segan and Angela Motolese scored two goals each, while Caitlin Harris, Sabrina Mertz, Abigail Schneck and Jennifer Hallingstad also scored for the Tigers.
Northwestern had a 18-6 edge in shots on goal.
The Lady Falcons scored five goals in the first half and went on to blank Palmerton by a 6-0 score.
Katie Bucchin and Caylin Meikrantz scored two goals each, while Emily Batman and Holly Burns had the others.
Jenn Creed had eight saves in goal for the Bombers.
Blue Mountain scored two goals in each half to pull away from Tamaqua en route to a 4-0 Schuylkill League win.
Madison Riegel led the Eagles with two goals.
Carly Sassaman recorded 15 saves in goal for the Raiders (3-5,1-4).
Blue Mountain won the JV game by a 5-1 score.
Emily Wenzel scored the goal for Tamaqua.
North Schuylkill-Jim Thorpe
Jim Thorpe defeated North Schuylkill 2-0 in a Schuylkill League Division I matchup.
Tayler Kidder scored off an assist from Rebecca Cressman in the first half. Cressman got an assist from Cat Condly to score a goal of her own ib the second half and seal the victory for the Lady Olympians.
Alyssa Smith made three saves for Jim Thorpe.
The Lady Olympians also won the JV game 4-0.
No. Lehigh, Moravian Academy, No. Dame GP, Pen Argyl, Salisbury at Northwestern
Northwestern Lehigh managed to sweep its quad meet with Northern Lehigh, Southern Lehigh, Pen Argyl and Salisbury in Colonial League action.
Brayden Heller of the Tigers won the boys race with a time of 17:09.20, while Haley Yost was the first winner in 19:14.90.
No. Lehigh 22, Mor.Academy 33
No. Dame GP 21, No. Lehigh 38
Northwestern 18, No. Lehigh 43
So. Lehigh 26, No. Lehigh 29
Northwestern 15, Pen Argyl 46
Northwestern 19, Salisbury 36
1. Brayden Heller (NW) 17:09.20, 2. Kyle Gonoude (S) 17:09.61, 3. Collin Furchner (NW), 17:28.69, 4. Gavin Kemery (NL) 17:31.28, 5. Ryan Cerrone (NW) 17:32.54, 6. Jarrett White (NW) 17:37.69, 7. Devon Fogel (NDGP) 17:46.83, 8. Alec Consuelos (NW) 17:53.56, 9. Anthony Carlos (NDGP) 17:55.93, 10. Samuel Li (MA) 17:56.75, 11. Gregory Fry (S) 18:03.40, 12. Ian Carey (S)18:08.45, 13. Ty Smith (PA) 18:08.80, 14. Stephen Gray (SL) 18:09.34, 15. Patrick Wehr (SL) 18:26.83, 16. Evan Busher (NDGP) 18:27.51, 17. Mason Constant (NDGP) 18:34.19, 18. Cullen King (PA) 18:34.55, 19. Sinjon Bartel (S) 18:36.50, 20. Patrick Golden (S) 18:41.29.
Mor. Academy 15, No. Lehigh 50
No.Dame GP 15, No. Lehigh 50
Northwestern 15, No. Lehigh 50
So. Lehigh 15, No. Lehigh 50
Northwestern 15, Pen Argyl 47
Northwestern 15, Salisbury 48
1. Haley Yost (NW) 19:14.90, 2. Carly Pierce (NW) 19:37.38, 3. Meseret Hart (SL) 19:53.78, 4. Allyson Yanega (SL) 20:20.42, 5. Paige Stitzel (NW) 20:21.66, 6. Sarah Yanega (SL), 7. Rachele Miklos (NW), 8. Alissa VandeBunte (SL), 9. Rachele Cerrone (NW), 10. Brianna VandeBunte (SL), 11. Kelly Gonoude (Sal), 12. Angelina Biondo (PA), 13. Nina DeLuna (SL), 14. Angela Alden (NW), 15. Christina Scartelli NDGP), 16. Nicole Gibki (NDGP), 17. Alyssa Weaver (PA), 18. Taylor Dunbar (SL), 19. Delaney Jordan (NDGP), 20. Abigail Smith (NW).
Palmerton, Catasauqua, NDES, Palisades, Saucon Valley, Wilson at Bangor
In a six-team cross country Colonial League meet, Palmerton squared off against some pretty impressive competition and came away with a sole win on the boys' side, as they defeated Catasauqua, 21-39.
Individually, Zack Svetik finished sixth to pace the Blue Bombers, while teammate Shawn Seiler came in 15th.
Saucon Valley 18, Palmerton 37
Wilson 21, Palmerton 40
Palmerton 21, Catasauqua 39
Palisades 25, Palmerton 30
1. B. Tockett (B) 17:32.27, 2. C. Sell (B) 17:36.65, 3. N. Fritzinger (SV) 17:46.76, 4. M. Sheptuk (NDES) 18:04.88, 5. S. Reider (B) 18:09.91, 6. Zack Svetik (Palm), 7. J. Rusnock (C), 8. A. Race (W), 9. A. Calantoni (W), 10. J. Espinao (W), 11. S. Muff (W), 12. J. Smith (SV), 13. B. Weaver (SV), 14. F. Ippolitto (B), 15. Shawn Seiler (Palm), 16. C. Caro (Pali), 17. N. Evangelista (SV), 18. M. Boerchers (W), 19. J. Cars (Pali), 20. A. Baner (B);
Wilson 15, Palmerton 50
NDES 15, Palmerton 50
Bangor 15, Palmerton 50
Saucon Valley 15, Palmerton 50
1. E. Chikotas (SV) 19:02.22, 2. M. Colton (B) 20:40.64, 3. S. Brannon (W) 20:45.83, 4. A. Rustay (W) 21:19.93, 5. K. Jackett (NDES) 22:07.56, 6. M. Brannon (W), 7. V. Cobb (B), 8. B. Shiban (SV), 9. J. Slodaho (W), 10. T. Ott (W), 11. D. Losco (W), 12. E. Hoff (SV), 13. C. Carl (W), 14. X. Chang (SV), 15. B. McAfee (W), 16. R. McCabe (SV), 17. C. Krechel (NDES), 18. T. Smith (B), 19. D. Miller (NDES), 20. C. Hooper (Pali).
ES South, ES North, Lehighton, PM East at PM West
The Lehighton boys earned a split in Mountain Valley Conference action, picking up a 19-44 win over ES North, but falling to ES South 20-36.
Michael Blacketter won the boys meet in a time of 18:31, but ES South had five runners in before the Indians' next finisher.
In the girls meet, Lehighton picked up a sweep with a convincing 19-39 win over ES South and 15-50 forfeit win over ES North.
Jennifer Beers was second overall for the Lady Indians with a time of 20:49 and was followed closely by Cassandra Rehnert, who finished third with a time of 22:01. Overall, Lehighton had four of the top six runners, with Brooke Scott and Cera Gaston taking fifth and sixth, respectively.
ES SOUTH 19, PM EAST 43
PM EAST 20, ES NORTH 43
ES SOUTH 27, PM WEST 30
PM WEST 20, ES NORTH 43
ES SOUTH 20, LEHIGHTON 36
LEHIGHTON 19, ES NORTH 44
1. Michael Blacketter (L) 18:31, 2. Luis Wolverton (ESN) 18:39, 3. Jabarit Spencer (PMW) 18:41, 4. Jayvon Sawyer (PMW) 18:43, 5. Mason Byrne (ESS) 18:45, 6. Devon Harris (PME), 7. Pierre Liciaga (ESS), 8. Sean O'Connor (ESS), 9. Elijah Vailancourt (PMW), 10. Micah Cloward (ESS), 11. Justas Gricius (ESS), 12. Billy Bioty (PMW), 13. Trent Frey (L), 14. Jacob Bailey (L), 15. Chris Martino (L), 16. Heru Kirkland (ESS), 17. Dan Shaykevich (PME), 18. Ben Ronemus (L), 19. Von Glover (ESS), 20. Blade McCabe (L).
ES SOUTH 22, PM EAST 36
PM EAST 15, ES NORTH 50
PM WEST 15, ES NORTH 50
ES SOUTH 22, PM WEST 36
LEHIGHTON 19, ES SOUTH 39
LEHIGHTON 15 ES NORTH 50
1. Rachele Davalos (PME) 20:36, 2. Jennifer Beers (L) 20:49, 3. Cassandra Rehnert (L) 22:01, 4. Carissa Root (ESS) 22:44. 5. Brooke Scott (L) 22:51, 6. Cera Gaston (L), 7. Madison Knecht (PMW), 8. Kayanna Verwey (ESS), 9. Natalie Montanaez (ESN), 10. Madison Horan (PMW), 11. Kayla Kudela (L), 12. Adriana Scherer (L), 13. Nicole Smith (ESS), 14. Delaney Henasey (PME), 15. Janet Ro (ESS), 16. Rachel Younger (ESN), 17. Liling Goldston (ESS), 18. Shannon Grundman (PME), 19. Veronica Lucero (PMW), 20. Kathryn Delorenzo (ESS).
Marian earned a convincing 25-14, 25-9, 25-5 Schuylkill League win over Halifax.
Abigail Stankiwietz led the Fillies with 16 kills while Emily Pilla chipped in 14 digs and eight aces.
With the win, Marian moves to 6-1 on the season.
Saucon Valley defeated Northwestern 25-9, 25-18 and 25-21 to pick up a Colonial League victory.
No other information was available.
Saucon Valley also won the JV match, 25-12 and 25-20.
Mahanoy Area picked up a 25-22, 25-14, 26-24 Schuylkill League win over Tamaqua.
Carly Trovinger had six assists, five kills and four digs for the Lady Raiders while Jaclin Valasek chipped in nine service points, four aces and five kills. Alexis Baddick added three service points, two aces, five kills, one block and three digs in the loss.
Mahanoy Area also won the JV match, 2-1.
Weatherly earned a 25-11, 25-21, 25-20 Schuylkill League win over Williams Valley.
Kirsetn Ursta had seven aces and three kills while Shannon Sarosky chipped in an ace, three digs and nine assists in the win. Samantha Hantz added seven aces, five digs and two kills for the Lady Wreckers.
Weatherly also won the JV match, 2-0.
The Crimson Tide scored a 340-377 win over the Blue Raiders in a makeup match at Hidden Valley golf Course.
Mike Weinert had the best score for the Raiders with an 81
No other information was available.
The Jim Thorpe and Marian girls played a 9-hole match at Mahoning Valley Country Club with the Fillies coming out a 231-279 winner.
Christy Digiandomenico of Marian took medalist honors with a 54.
Christy Digiandomenico 54, Arianna Srinivasan 55, Monica Wasik 56, Rebecca Paulshock 66.
JIM THORPE (279)
Rachel Montelius 68, Molly Behan 68, Katie Wagner 69, Sophie Monbussin 74.