A Lehighton man who was driving a United Parcel Service (UPS) van that struck Jim Thorpe Fire Chief Bill Diehm at 10:25 a.m. Saturday, July 7 is facing seven charges, with the most serious being aggravated assault by vehicle while driving under the influence (DUI).

A preliminary arraignment for Steven M. Schock, 36, was held Wednesday before District Justice Ed Lewis, with bail set at 10 percent of $50,000. A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Aug. 15.

Diehm was volunteering his time for the Race Street Run when Schock struck him as he was directing traffic on the Lentz Trail. At the time, Diehm was standing by his vehicle in the area of the borough water department.

Diehm suffered numerous broken bones, including a broken pelvis, broken arm and broken tail bone. He was hospitalized for several weeks.

According to Sgt. Michelangelo S. Bokeko's criminal complaint, Schock was charged because he caused Diehm serious bodily harm while DUI.

Schock was also charged with aggravated assault by vehicle, DUI, DUI with a concentration in his blood that was greater than .10 percent within two hours after Schock had operated the vehicle.

Schock was also charged with reckless driving, for his willful or wanton disregard for the safety of other people, careless driving, and for failing to drive on the right side of the roadway which had sufficient width.

Charges were filed by Bokeko on Aug. 9.

In the affidavit of probable cause, Daniel Long, a Jim Thorpe Police officer, was dispatched to the Lentz Trail for a pedestrian struck by a vehicle. While en route, Long was informed by the Carbon County Communications Center that the pedestrian struck was Diehm.

Upon arrival, Long observed the UPS van parked in the eastbound lane. Long also saw Diehm lying on the roadway behind the UPS van with severe cuts on his arms and head.

Long met with a witness, Bruce Solomon of Jim Thorpe, who said that he was sitting in a fire tanker watching the race when he saw the UPS van swerve into Diehm's vehicle that was parked off the south side of the eastbound lane and strike Diehm, who was standing by his vehicle.

Long then met with Schock and asked him what happened. Schock stated that he was traveling east when he saw a car traveling west. Schock said he saw Diehm at the rear of his vehicle putting things in it and also saw the runners. He had moved over and kept traveling east when he heard a noise.

Schock said he stopped the van to check and saw a man lying behind his van. Schock said he never saw Diehm on the side of his vehicle but had seen him at the rear of the vehicle while he was traveling down the roadway.

As Long talked to Schock he noticed a strong odor of alcoholic beverage emitting from Schock's facial area. Long asked Schock to perform a series of field sobriety tests, which he failed.

Long placed Schock under arrest for suspicion of DUI and advised him that he was transporting him to Gnaden Huetten Hospital for a blood test.

Long also talked to Diehm. Diehm said that he was taking photographs of the runners when the UPS truck swerved into him, causing him to roll along the driver's side of his vehicle before hitting the ground.

Diehm also said that he was wearing a reflective vest at the time he was struck.

Long noted that Diehm received major cuts to both his arms and head.

Schock agreed to submit to a blood test. The blood test revealed a blood/alcohol content of .154 percent.