The Tamaqua Fire Department responded to a box alarm at 513 Lombard St. in the borough's North Ward Saturday night.
The cause of the fire, according to acting Tamaqua Fire Chief Tom Hartz, Jr., was "careless smoking."
Hartz said the house is owned by Frederick Fulmer, who lives in Florida. The current occupants are Kathryn Lehatto and Kerry Fulmer. Kerry's son, Skyler, was also in the home Saturday.
The call of a structure fire came in at 11:55 p.m. The home is located on a hill in the neighborhood near Tamaqua Elementary School.